Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Holley TBI Kit...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zakk, Sep 23, 2001.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Does anyone run a holley TBI kit? There is NO way i can afford 2k for a EFI kit so it seems like a good price for a retrofit, but i am not sure if it is worth it vs. getting a new JET Q-jet. Any suggestions?
    thanks
    Zakk

"When the Going gets weird...the Weird turn Pro"
    -HST

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I've got a buddy running Holley's older ProJection system on his 57 GMC, and it's a great system - but for my money, you can't beat the Jet Q-jet. It's much simpler, doesn't require any wiring or other modifications, and is easily field repairable - even when you've got electrical gremlins, the Q-jet will get you home.

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. BigJohnson

BigJohnson 1/2 ton status

I'd go EFI. Even the most perfect carb setup can't touch the basic early EFI systems for daily driving. If you can't afford aftermarket EFI, who can with the extreme price tag, try a factory setup. A TBI or TPI makes a nice running truck and they can be bought fairly inexpensively. Howell EFI makes a stand alone <a target="_blank" href=http://www.howell-efi.com/complete_kits/tbi_index.html> TBI Kit </a> for $1,200 that is nice and simple. I'm going to fuel injection as soon as I can and will never play with carbs again. IMHO, if you can do it injection is the only way to go.

4. dragricinMT

dragricinMT 1/2 ton status

I just put on a 1904 edelbrock rochester on mine and it is awesome! This is the 795cfm electric choke carb. Did away with my divorced choke. I decided to go with this till I hace enough for the edelbrock fuel injection set-up.

78-K5 4"Lift 35"Tires 400SB TH350 NP205
    73 Vega 350SB TH350

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

when you say EFI does that include TBI? The Holley Pro-Jection set up is $710 thru Summit thier (Holley) EFI systems start at $1800. is the incresed price justified? Seems to me any type of FI (EFI or TBI) would give the same idle-at-any-angle performance.
    thanks
    zakk

-HST

6. BigJohnson

BigJohnson 1/2 ton status

Yes I consider TBI to be a type of EFI. I have never had a pro-jection setup so I don't know, but I think some others on the board do and maybe they can comment on it. As far as EFI setups go, as long as it is a closed system, meaning it has an oxygen sensor for fine tuning itself and a way to program it i.e. with software and computer or a chip, I would say it would provide what your looking for. You could also search previous posts for discussions on the pro-jection I believe there have been a few.
    Jordan

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Look into a used TPI (what I run and prefer) setup or TBI - either is a good option to a carb. Carbs, especially Q-jets generally work fine if set up right and not worn out. If off-angle stuff and uphills/downhills is part of your normal deal, go EFI. If you can hack the mechanical stuff, install yourself and get it all together, you can do EFI pretty inexpensively.

I like the idea of using a GM factory type setup, parts are simple to get and readily available if you ever need them.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I would go with a GM TBI kit. I have heard more bad than good about the Holley system. A buddy had one on his Sub it required adjustments now and then and he had some injector problems.
    The GM style TBI is controlled by an O2 sensor so frequent adjustment is never needed. It is pretty much a plug and play set up.
    http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze
    <font color=blue>NEVADA: Where the pavement ends, and the West begins.</font color=blue>

9. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I got my TBI set up for $145 with shipping... it's used but in good condition. Just need to install it. I simply will need to buy a new fuel pump, fuel lines and maybe an intake.... look into used stuff. Someone parting out and just wants it gone. That's your best bet IMHO if on a budget....

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!
    &lt;&gt;&lt; PSALMS 23 &gt;&lt;&gt;
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

thanks to all who offered thier opinion. I think i am gonna stick with the q-jet and just step up to a stage 2 JET Q-jet. Ye Olde Bank Account in looking lean after the D60 i got yesterday! =o)
    zakk

-HST