Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Holley Throttle body

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mudfreak, May 5, 2001.

1. Mudfreak

Mudfreak 1/2 ton status

I Have A chance to get my hands on a Holley throttle body brand new for my k5, from a friend that is moving for $150. Are these units worth it ? Are they easy to hook up? It's still in the original box with all the instructions in it. It sounds easy to install. Was just wanting input on the subject. Thanks, Cool photo for blazer of the month

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I'd say that's a deal man! Think they are about $250 or $300 new. I would love a deal like that! From what I've seen it looks like they would be worth it... a much bigger bore so you can flow more air... throw on the injector spacer when you put it on. Would probably fare better w/ other mods such as heads, intake, reprogrammed chip, etc., but would guess it would help a stock motor too.

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I think thats what Shawn is running. I may be wrong. I think I am. Go check his Potent Rodent out.

4. Mudfreak

Mudfreak 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info , I'll check out potent rodent.

5. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

don't do it!!!!!!!!! i went through hell with that exact same unit this summer, i went through 2 units- 1st one wouldnt even pass fuel-2nd one pushed too much fuel off the line bogging out the motor. when i asked the reputable performance shop that i got them from they said this was a common problem and that for this reason they were going to discontinue the product. a year prior to this i put one on an 87 k5 i had and it seemed to be ok, but the performance was no big difference. the stock tbi is good for half a million miles and is way more reliable, its not worth the reliability sacrafice for 2-3 rear wheel hp. plus you cant use a tbi spacer under those units which is 100% reliable, cheaper and gives you more hp. if your going to spend 150 bucks do it on a tbi spacer and a msd ignition box.

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have found from experence that K5s dont seem to like anything with the name Holley on it. Or am I the only one who has had a lot of trouble with Holley parts in my K5?

7. WOODYJ

WOODYJ 1/2 ton status

I suppose you are talking about the Holly Pro Jection fuel injection throttle body. I have first hand experience with this unit. I can't say that all of my experiences have been good ones with this unit. First of all the unit is built very weak where the air cleaner stud screws into it. If you ever lean over on the Air Cleaner it will break the casting on the throttle body. Second, the throttle body is computer controlled but does not have an oxygen sensor. This makes it very hard to keep your mixtures suitable when changing altitudes. What I have done is get a k&n oxygen sensor that I welded into my exhaust and then mounted my computer under the driver's seat. This way I can adjust the mixture throughout the rpm range at 14.7 while driving with a little screw driver I built for the task. As far as gas mileage, I really have been able to tell a difference since being able to adjust the mixture for altitude. Before that it was really crappy. As far as I am concerned, the system should have come with an oxygen sensor and thus a person wouldn't have to be adjusting the computer all of the time. I think that Holly went of half cocked and didn't get their stuff together before putting the system out. The k & n oxygen sensor cost almost $200.00. The system, carb and computer cost over $800.00. That is allot of money for the system I bought and thought it would work without doing much. I will admit that the Holley made it easier to adjust my dual fuel system. I can adjust my propane system with the oxygen sensor and it will out do the holley for fuel mileage, not quite as much power but better mileage. With the new throttle body replacements that they have out now, I have not heard really what they do. All I can tell you about is the regular old computer controlled throttle body fuel injection that I have. If you have any questions e-mail me.

k5woody

k5woody I Don't Understand The Jeep Thing Either!!!

8. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

hey woody---sounds like you are talking about the pro-jection system, we were talking about the stock tbi replacement unit for 87 or newer, either way they are both junk in my opinion. as far as an alternative to a pro-jection system i think howell makes some decent stuff. thx-j.c.

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

IMHO, everything Holley makes is junk. Even when I was drag racing I didn't like Holley although that is where they work the best (arguably the ONLY place they work). Some people love them and swear by them, I've never understood why. Sure, they are easy to work on, and that's a good thing since you will spend ALL your time working on them... Don't flame me if you like Holley, this is just my opinion.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

10. WOODYJ

WOODYJ 1/2 ton status

j.c.
    You are right , I was talking about the Projection series. I know a couple of guys who bought the replacements and they are really not what they are cracked up to be. One has had to replace two injector pods now and the other just can't seem to get his to do what the original did. I think that this Holley Product is one of the poorest things that they have come out with for a long time. I know IWould Not Recommend Buying one of these!!

k5woody

k5woody I Don't Understand The Jeep Thing Either!!!