Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

holley troubles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by REDCRO_REDNECK, Aug 8, 2005.

1. REDCRO_REDNECK

REDCRO_REDNECK 1/2 ton status

how do I adjust the fuel mixture on a 600 holley vac sec.? I think I know how, but how to get a good runner out of it.

my truck now acts like it is flooding out when I need to restart it (pedal all the way down to get it to run, when running it does not like its idle at all 800 rpm.)

2. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

There are severial hollys so we kinda need to know witch one you have...

But most have a pair of screws on the primary metering block (one on each side) that are adjusted to set the idle mixture. You simply move them untill you have the highest idle (or most vacume). Make sure you move each one the same ammount when making adjustments.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

sounds like floats need adjusting...

If your having flooding troubles,your floats may need adjustment,or might be sinking if they are brass and have pinholes in them,allowing gas to fill them...plastic foam floats can get "soggy" too....
    Another thing to consider is the heat!--it might be hot enough to boil gas out of the bowl after you shut it off for a few minites,that will flood the motor and make it difficult to start again...might need a thick base gasket or aluminum spacer to keep the carb cooler.. :crazy:

4. REDCRO_REDNECK

REDCRO_REDNECK 1/2 ton status

I have an alum. adapter. open plentum square bore to spread bore.

I have lowered the float bowls, that was a problem it used to have: while running it would drip fuel out the last 2 barrels. not an issue now but it just does not run to my expectations.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

keep trying..

Most of the Holley carbs I had didn't run right either,despite constant tweaking and fiddling...I gave up on them and used Carter AFB's or Edelbrock Performers on street vehicles...sometimes a stock Q-jet is hard to beat..they get decent mileage,and give good performance..You might have a vcuum leak,I'd check for that before condemming the carb first...blown power valves are another common dilema on older Holley carbs too,that can cause poor idle and flooding...good luck!.. :crazy: