Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Holley Truck Avenger Carb

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by biobry, Oct 27, 2004.

1. biobry

biobry Registered Member

Has anyone had any experience with these carbs on a K5? I am considering one on my 76 K5 but would like some feedback from those in the know.

Thanks

Bryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I have a magizine article about it.
    I'll try to scan it and post it for ya. I remember
    it saying alot of good stuff about it. Once I'm
    ready for my bbc, I'll have one unless I get injection.
    It also tested the edelbrock, Q jet, and a typical holley.

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i had one on my 73 that i sold to Muddytazz and i liked it alot!!!! im pretty shure he hasent run that motor yet but you might want to ask him

4. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have one on my truck. I have had it for two years. I like it a lot. Next best thing to fuel injection, but the down side is that they take some time tuning to get it set up right.

5. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

[ QUOTE ]
    I have one on my truck. I have had it for two years. I like it a lot. Next best thing to fuel injection, but the down side is that they take some time tuning to get it set up right.

[/ QUOTE ]

what he said.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

mine was almost set right out of the box. you might need a spread bore adapter though. paul (ryoken) still thinks i should have a little more power, so im going to get it looked at since im a newbie when it comes to carbs. it was an easy installation. i had to fab up a brand new throttle bracket adapter with a metal plate for the kick down cable to work right.

so far i love it and that article was dead on!!!

7. biobry

biobry Registered Member

Thanks for all the responses...I've been bouncing back and forth between this and the edelbrock...leaning towards the Holley.

8. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

If you're torn between those 2 then for sufe go with the Holley. I have an Edelcrap on mine now. Hopefully the fuel injection setup will cure all my problem /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

[ QUOTE ]
    If you're torn between those 2 then for sufe go with the Holley. I have an Edelcrap on mine now. Hopefully the fuel injection setup will cure all my problem /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

do you have the edelcrap off road carb or a 1406/1408 model carb?

I know the 1406/1408 suck off camber, I was just wondering if the off road carb sucks or what results you had?

fuel injection is the cure and in some cases the cause of insanity /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

I've run the Q-jet, Edelbrock 750cfm , and now I run the 670 Truck Avenger. The truck avenger is simply the best carb I've ever used. Absolutely no stalls, even when boucing up and down very steep grades. I had a TPI system to install and ended up selling it since the Avenger works so well. Always starts right up and has great power.

It does take tuning though (like any carb). But the nice thing is that it is a very tuneable carb and very predictable. I swapped jets and pump cam per standard tuning procedure.

11. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

sorry to hijack but I have a 670 truck avenger and I was wondering the proper way to hook up the electic choke on it. Does it need a constant hot or just and ingnition hot? Also, any tips on how to tune it, I have always just bolted on my carbs and just accepted how they work but I like this one so I think it might be worth tuning.

12. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Definitely ignition sourced power. The electric connection helps heat the coil for better operation. If it had power all the time you would probably burn it up.

Preliminary stuff prior to tuning: set the timing, set the idle where you want it. To do the tuning have everything hooked up and the air cleaner installed. Get an assistant to put the tranny in drive and hold the brake while making the adjustments.

I usually start with the mixture screws out about 2 turns. Then I adjust the screws with 1/8th turn increments in or out; it will depend on which yeilds the best results. I use a hand-held tach and keep adjusting to get the highest rpm. You could also do the same using a vacuum gage by adjusting to get the highest vacuum reading. I just like the accuracy of the hand-held tach.

Hope that helps.

13. personaltrainer

personaltrainer 1/2 ton status

Mrk5 - all good to know. This helps me with my carb situation as well b/c there was never a hand held tac, or vacume hooked up to mine and tyhe aircleaner was off the entire time - When you pay someone to "instal and tune" the carb - something along those lines should have been done, no? Thanks.
    BTW I'll get pics of my yellow beast this week for ya.

14. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

do you have the edelcrap off road carb or a 1406/1408 model carb?

I know the 1406/1408 suck off camber, I was just wondering if the off road carb sucks or what results you had?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the 1406 and have installed the off-road needle seats... before the off-road needles it would stall going up and down hill..after the needle seats I only stall going down... I'm looking into the TBI swap but have been told the Avenger is the next best thing.