Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

holley truck avenger (emissions) help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wraenking, May 2, 2006.

1. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

well, this october i have to go through inspection. im not worried about the tilt test part cause the blazer is built solid. im worried because i dont have any emissions on her. i know people pass somehow, but what exactly should i do to pass.

make it richer/leaner, and whats the best way to do that.

thanks

2. 86 Jimmy

86 Jimmy Registered Member

Well it depends on what they're testing for. Different places have different tests. The best thing to do is to pay off someone you know to get it done. That's always a sure fire way to pass. You're best bet would be to get it running a little lean, but make sure the ignition system is all running perfectly, if you degreed your cam, you'll want to undo that. It wouldn't hurt to buy one of those additives that help with emissions. Some of them even come with a gurantee. Hope this helps.

3. Memphis

Memphis Registered Member

Alcohol in the tank just before you go, you'll put out less emissions then an electric car :D

4. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

alc huh?

anyone else?

i have a guy but i know when he did it last time he said he wouldnt do my test with it lifted cause of the tilt test. which suxks cause i know ill pass, and idont have a sticker now and never have been asked for one.

5. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

emissions

What year is your truck? I bought a first gen just because of emissions, seems that the truck only has to be as good as the year it was manu., not sure what your laws are in NJ

I would have to agree with running it lean!!! Later J.

6. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

ahhh sup fellow NJ local truck avenger dude....

im in williamstown... right down the road from ya... just down the black horse pike to geets diner... :haha:

anyway here is the scoop...

for emmissions they mainly do the low idle test.... where you hold it at 1200 or 1500rpms and they run the test....

I failed the first time.. "HE" tried it and it failed.. so "HE" tried adjusting my carb for me.. (he wasnt allowed to but he wants vehicles to pass) I state HE as on other sites we have been asked to not name names.. the guy isnt there anymore so it will be different for me too... I go back in Dec...

anyway...
    make sure your bowls are adjusted right.. my truck avenger was WAY wrong.. you could look down into the carb while the truck was running and see fuel puring in and even into the secondaries :eek1:

then I adjusted the air screws and when I had it where I wanted it I leaned it out by turning the screws 1/16 of a turn.. not alot....

but I failed....and for a few other things too...

so I went back in 2 weeks... I bought a addative from autozone called Guaranteed to pass.. followed their instructions and went...

PASSED FIRST TIME!!!!!!! :bow:
    even with the car wacked out.. we didnt realize the floats were wrong until a few weeks later when the truck wasnt running right!!!!!! :haha:

so as long as you have a fairly good tuneup in your truck, carb adjusted correctly and do the Guaranteed to pass (why do the guaranteed to pass..... screw it for $6.00 and to get it passed first shot is awww so nice)

need any help pm me and I can help ya out....
    oh and the tilt test aint that bad...

they put a scale under each tire.. weigh your truck.... have you drive up the ramp and there is a scale at the bottom.... then they measure the weight % shift and over so much shift = failed.... so I guess a really flexy truck will fail.....

that is a pic of my bud George....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my buds stock 4 door s-10

[​IMG]

now he will have to do the test some day....

[​IMG]