Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Holley Truck Avenger Q's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lsak5, Mar 25, 2002.

1. lsak5

lsak5 Registered Member

Holley Truck Avenger Q\'s

Wondering if anybody has info on the new Holley Truck Avenger Carb? Had enough with the Edelbrock Peformer.
    Thanks

2. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Re: Holley Truck Avenger Q\'s

None here just ditch that holley and get a Q-jet problem solved...mike

3. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

4. lsak5

lsak5 Registered Member

Just fed up with trying to adjust out the Performer, the Q jet from Jet Performance is the next option I think after the Avenger. I'm good with everything exept auto trannies and adjusting carbs, so I'm shooting for a carb that's fairly easy to adjust. I saw a previous post on the Avenger and it didn't sound to promising.

5. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Go with the Edelbrock Qjet replacement. I'm putting an Edl 1910 (Qjet replacement performer RPM / 850 CFM) on my roller cam 468. This line of carbs keeps the things that make Qjets good off road, but they are new. I too am curious about the truck avenger, but the 670 CFM rating is lower than what I want.

6. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I don't know anybody who has the truck avenger carb, I have had the best service and reliability from regular quadrajet. I have tried holley and edelbrock and had nothing but problems. I bolted my trusty quadrajet back on & can't figure out why I ever took it off to begin with, I will never put anything else on my truck.

7. keeferk5

keeferk5 Registered Member

I have had mine on for 1-1/2 months now and have taken it on a 300 mi highway trip, thru the mud and up some pretty steep hills. I LOVE it. More power than stock, and when they say it will maintain an idle at 45 degrees, it's true. Plus it was a bolt on took 1-1/2 hr including removal of the old carb. I would highly advise replacing the fuel pump while you are at it.

8. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Yup. I had a similar experience. I went through 2 holleys, and at least 3 different edelbrocks. Finally went back to the stock q-jet and had it worked over. I found one off of a 454 that needed rebuilt, so I picked it up real cheap. If I had done that in the first place, I would have saved myself a ton of cash, and I'd have the tires I want by now.

9. lsak5

lsak5 Registered Member

Ok, so go back with the Q jet, but nowwhich one? There's the Jet Perf. Q jet which which sound better than the Edelbrock, there's the Carter AFB which seems moderate, and then there's the Auto Zone special. If the Carter AFB will do what it's supposed to it's only around $200, while the Jet Perf Q jet is $360. Haven't priced the Zone yet. Thoughts, comments, instructions, just want my little rebuilt 350 to be all it can be.

10. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I went with the jet stage 2 and I love it I have had it for about 2 months now and it to was a bolt on (just had to figure the vac ports It came with about 8 and I only need 2 hence the name nosmog73 ) It is a little cheaper than the q-jet from edlebrock ..jm2c,mike

11. lsak5

lsak5 Registered Member

That's what I figured. Didn't think I could beat something from Jet. Just off hand where'd you pick it up from or any good deals on it?

12. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

13. lsak5

lsak5 Registered Member

Thanks for the info, but before ordering, I've heard alot about matching carbs to the engine. Is the 750 a good match for a rebuilt 350. I got screwed on the rebuild and not real sure of the specs on the engine. But supposedly it's bored 30 over with the HP pistons, HV oil pump, and a tow cam, but like I said, not real sure if it's all there. What do ya think?

14. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I have to admit I went to the summit site and ordered it the 35000-2 stage 2 and after I got it and had it bolted on and running I was at jegs looking around(dreaming) and found out there was a truck 36000-2 for the light trucks well I have had no major things wrong just have to tune it a litle,but I think it is my timing so I have had no probs with the 750 model have fun shoot me a pm If you have any ??'s

15. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have heard that if you send in your old Qjet as a core, that you can get a Jet Qjet cheaper then the $350 that jegs and summit has it for. I would strongly advise against the Autozone special. I would also advise against the Carter AFB. Carters are good carbs, but don't run at angles (even with offroad kit installed) as a Qjet does. I have climbed some steep hills with my Qjet. I has never died, but I did get it close one time. I would extimate that the hill was 60 degrees or so (maybe more) I don't know for sure, but it was darn steep. I just floored the truck, and it ran all the way to the top.

16. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Here is the site to look at if you want to find out more about there carbs. I was never looking to keep my old q-jet (my choice) but when I got the new one and had it next to the old one It was like night and day..I have no idea on there $$amount to redo your old carb...mike http://www.jetchip.com/

17. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I bought my q-jet about a year ago from Napa, I told them that I wanted the oldest model they had that had an electric choke. I wanted to be sure to get one that had the mixture screws (some come with these pluged) so I could adjust it properly. I have had it on some pretty severe angles and it has never died or even sputtered. That's why I put it back on my truck. My engine is a 350 that is mildly modified (guessing about 300 horsepower), and the q-jet feeds it great. I think alot of people forget that GM put these on some on some of the most powerful engines that ever came out of detroit in the 60's and 70's (small & big blocks).

18. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yeah the Q- jet and theThermo quad. Topped off some the truly great muscle car engines.
    I think the reason they never got their due was because "Rochester Qudra- Jet was just too hard to pronounce.
    For people who could not string together a complete sentence "Holley" was a lot easier to say /forums/images/icons/smile.gif