Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Holley Truck Avenger tuning tips and review

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mrk5, May 16, 2006.

1. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I’ve wanted to write a definitive Holley Truck Avenger thread, and I’m finally getting it done. I’m going to cover some tuning tips that I have applied with great success and also a review of my trail experiences on how well the carburetor operates.

I see a lot of posts asking about whether the Truck Avenger works and what to do about the off-idle stumble/hesitation. Hopefully this thread will come up on some searches, and if not at least I can just link it and save myself more typing. :deal:

I had some bad luck with a couple of qjets, so I ended up buying a used Truck Avenger (TA) from a member here. It seems as though the TA is the last attempt to put off an FI swap. So this means you can find a lot of TAs for sale here, ebay, and Pirate with only 1-year’s use and low mileage. Don’t pay more than $250, because you should be able to find one for that price.

Now here’s the first kernel of wisdom. Make sure to verify the list number on the airhorn. It needs to be 90670-2. See Figure 1 to find the list number. The “-2” is the key. If it is a “-1” or no dash number, run away. Those versions had some sort of factory flaw that causes the infamous off-idle stumble and you’ll never get rid of it.

[​IMG]

The good news is that even if you already have a “-1” or older version, all is not lost. Holley has been very good about replacing these older versions with the newest “-2” version. There are some observable differences between the carburetors, so I do believe there are some fundamental design changes.

You need to contact Holley and explain your problems, and they will swap out carburetors for the cost of you shipping them your carburetor. That is based on all the cases I’ve heard of from others.

When I swapped mine I didn’t need any type of proof of purchase, but I have heard from others lately that they are asking for a copy of the sales receipt, so beware. It was a great deal for me because I got a new carb for $250+shipping twice.

Now I know that Holley advertises all over the place the TA is a bolt and go carburetor. It has not been my experience that this is indeed true. I’ve only read a few instances where this is the case, and I don’t think any of these people were installing the carburetor on full size Chevy trucks with 350s.

All of the information I’m about to share is based on my experiences installing a 670cfm Truck Avenger on a rebuilt 350 with a mild cam in a full-body K5. Your results may vary some, but I think it will still provide a good basis for most CK5 trucks.

My primary source of information has been a website called www.thirdgen.org. There is a lot of information about GM engines related to tuning, carburetors, and fuel injection. I’ve never posted on the forum because I’ve found the answers to all my questions through searching. I will try to link some pertinent threads throughout this post.

It seems that there are some common tuning measures for Holley carburetors on 350s. Basically they seem to work best with a .035 accelerator pump discharge nozzle and Blue accelerator pump cam in the #2 hole. I’ll give a little detail on each of these items.

Refer to Figure 2 for what the accelerator pump discharge nozzles look like. They are sometimes referred to as squirters.

[​IMG]

Figure 3 shows how the nozzles are installed/removed. It’s pretty self-explanatory; the only trick is to not loose the bottom washer. It’s not a huge issue as long as the primary butterflies are closed but just don’t let the washer fall own into the manifold. If it does, you gotta fish it out. I’ve had success using Vasoline to hold it on. The nozzles just barely fit between the choke butterflies and the airhorn. I use my pinkies to lift it in and out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can tune the nozzles by watching the exhaust. Increase size until you get black smoke out the exhaust when you punch the throttle. Then drop down one size. My exhaust is too short to see the discharge smoke, so I just went with the .035 nozzle and left it alone.

The next trick is to replace the accelerator pump cam. They are available in a kit, part number 20-12 pictured below.

[​IMG]

The accelerator pump cams are sized by color lightest to heaviest shot as follows: White, Blue, Red, Orange, Black, Green, Pink and Brown. The other thing to take into account is the profile of the cam. From the research I’ve done, it seems that 350s like a heavy initial shot from the accelerator pump.

The searching I did on thirdgen.org recommended a blue cam in the #2 hole. That is what I did, and it works just fine.

In the picture below, note where the arrow is pointing and you will see there is a counter-sunk screw head. In the picture the screw is in the #1 hole. Below this hole you can see another open hole, it is the #2 hole.

[​IMG]

On the blue pump cam and most of the other pump cams there are two holes and they correspond to the holes on the throttle lever. Top hole is #1 and the bottom hole is #2. So to install the blue cam in the #2 hole you put the screw through the bottom hole on both the throttle lever and pump cam.

After doing this you need to verify that the override spring is adjusted properly. Make sure that the pump lever to pump cam clearance is set correctly. Some people misinterpret the .015" clearance figure specified by Holley. There must be a minimum of .015" extra travel at WOT available to the pump diaphragm.

At idle there should be Zero clearance between the pump cam and the pump accelerator linkage arm. Any free play at this point can cause a hesitation even with the correct cam and shooter installed. I always add 1\2 to 1 turn preload to the pump spring after adjusting to zero clearance. Seems to help sharpen the pump shot. Pump shot should be immediate and sharp with the slightest movement of the throttle. Dribbling is an indication of a problem.

The only other adjustment I made was jetting down for altitude. Holley recommends 1 size for every 2,000ft change in elevation.

I have found that the idle setting can play a role in the off-idle hesitation. I was running my idle kinda high, about 700RPM in drive, after changing the pump cam. I still had a hesitation. I’ve dropped the idle down to 550RPM, and that was the final adjustment needed to eliminated and hesitation. I believe this is because the lower idle allows the pump cam to ramp up more to get that big initial shot.

Don’t think that what I’ve post above is guaranteed to work your truck, it is just what I’ve found to work for me. Hopefully at the very least it will give you a good starting point.

These are some helpful threads from thirdgen.org, which is basically where I found most of the stuff that I did. Pay special attention to posts by Chickenman35; he knows his stuff.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/c...ion-problem-holley.html?highlight=BLUE+holley

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/c...on-chickenman-35-a.html?highlight=BLUE+holley

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/carburetors/258157-holley-tuning-help.html?highlight=BLUE+holley

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/carburetors/239159-accelerator-pump-cam.html?highlight=BLUE+holley

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/carburetors/208836-holley-tuning.html?highlight=BLUE+holley

So how does the Truck Avenger perform on the trail? It’s worked great for me so far. I’ve only had it stall once and it started right back up. The following obstacle is where the carb stalled:
    [​IMG]

I’ve done other obstacles with no issues:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This winter I flopped the truck on its side into a creek bed. It was actually still sputtering a little sitting on its side. I don’t think it would have actually ran long, but I did have to shut the key off. Once we got the truck on all fours sitting on that bank, I was able to reach in and it started right up. I drove the truck up the bank with assist from a winch.

[​IMG]

I’m not claiming the Truck Avenger is better or even as good as fuel injection. But for those not ready to make that leap, I feel the Truck Avenger is an excellent option. For me personally, it is much easier to tune than a quadrajet.

Hope this helps some of you fellow CK5ers.

2. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

thanks for the write up. ill try some of the tips and post back

3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

So much for their claim that it's ready to run right out of the box....:mad: :rolleyes:

Excellent write up

4. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

mine was bolt and go without any probs. im just going to try these and see what happens. htey always said you hade to make sure the floats were at the bottoms of the glass eyes for primary and secondary, so to me that is ready to run out of the box.

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I had few issues... nothing major.. I put it on.. adjusted and went....

but had the -1 and swapped it out for the -2... bigger hesitation..... but usually im WOT!!!!! :haha:

I bought the cam kit as recommended by holley.... they told me to use the black cam.. biggest one.. had to put in hole 2.... seems to have got rid of "MOST" of the hessitation.... although it is still there.. I was told to go with the .035 discharge nozzle.. maybe I will...

I wont have my truck out for like a long time as the wife has 8 weeks left until the new kid....so then no wheelin now as we are busy on the weekends and no time after!!!!!!

WAAAAAAAAAAAaa :doah:

6. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

well written, thanks for the info

7. mrk5

If you went to the black cam I would say you should definitely try the .035 nozzles.

Thanks for all the compliments guys. :)

8. RootBreaker

put them in tonight... hesitation seems to be gone.. will find out this weekend.. when i take it out and at least adjust the timing. :bow:

9. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well swapping my -1 for a -2 has been on my to do list for a while now. :doah: Now I'm feeling a little better about tuning up the -2 when I get it, cause I was sure it wouldn't be bolt and go either. This is some pretty good info, gives me a great place to start. Hats off. :bow:

10. mrk5

Thanks, I hope it gets you dialed in.

11. VikingWarlord

VikingWarlord 1/2 ton status

Mrk5, thanks for the info. I had a question for you. What elevation are you at ? I am having a few tune issues but I am all the way at 7000ft. So I was curious at what elevation these tips worked for you. Thanks !

12. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Nice job Scott.

I know you spent a lot of time perfecting your method. :bow:

13. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

Great write up, one thing I found with my TA that helped a lot was ajusting the floats. The rear was way high and the front was set way low. After adjusting these, my truck ran better. Just something to keep in mind as Holley doesnt seem to adjust these.

14. mrk5

I live at 5,000ft. Most of the wheeling I do is around 8,000-9,000ft.

I have the initial timing set at 15° and the vacuum advance connected to mainfold vacuum. With my MSD distributor, that gives me 25° total initial timing.

I think I noted above that I did jet down for elevation. I actually went down 3 sizes.

15. mrk5

That's true, I haven't checked the secondary float level, but I did have to adjust the front. Mine was low also.

I was kinda curious if Holley did this on purpose for offroad performance. The only thing I could find said set the level to the bottom of the hole, so I don't know if it was intentional or not.

After adjusting the level up to spec, I haven't had any new issues pop up. So I guess it is okay.

16. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

You have it right, when the fuel starts to dribble out of the float hole then its at the right height.

17. RootBreaker

i swapped my -1 for a -2 and the -2 was actually worse... well that or maybe I had the -1 tuned as best as you could get it and when I got the -2 it was WAAAYYY OFF!!!! :haha:

now i just got to get out there and do the dead stop to WOT!!!!!:wink1:

18. Dansrockreadychevy

Dansrockreadychevy Newbie

holley truck avenger 90670-2 fault, prolem

I know this is somewhat of an old subject...
    but i have a Holley Truck Avenger, 90670-2
    with continuous problems, recently i was
    checking it out and inspecting it and found that
    the check valve aka (rattle nose in mettering block).
    they were in upside down in my main mettering block
    and correct in my sec mettering block.

19. raymos

raymos Who?

Scribed. been thinkin bout gettin one of them TA's

thanks for the great info mrk5! :waytogo:

20. mrk5

Still running good for me.

[​IMG]

The only complaint I have is fuel mileage because I have the carb tuned more for performance.