Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Holley Truck Avenger?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Thumper, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Just curious if any of you have any good or bad inputs regarding this carb?
    How it works off-road, off cambers, hills etc?

Thanx
    Mike

2. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I really like my 670...
    I've hit some steep angles..

[​IMG]

It was still running...after I hit this angle.. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

The whole downside to the carb is...
    Tuning..
    It took me some time.. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

But after you install and tune it...
    Everybody will be asking if you have fuel injection..
    Thats what people ask me... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    But after you install and tune it...

[/ QUOTE ] I agree it took a little tuning but it has never flooded on even the steepest inclines. I felt that I was going to roll over a couple of times and it never stumbled. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

I didnt like my first avenger the smaller one because of tuning problems and I think it had an internal problem.

but my second 770 avenger I love it seems to work very well on all angles but it will stumble in a long set of whoops in the dunes but its minor so im still happy.

5. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

On my truck, I've had a q-jet, off-road edelbrock 1411, and now the 670 Truck Avenger. The Avenger is the best by far. All the carbs needed tuning, but the Holley is the easiest and most predictable in tuning. Takes a little work, but after you get it dialed in the power, response and the performance on steep grades and bounces is amazing.
    Highly recommend /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif!!

6. rvreddog

rvreddog Registered Member

I must be missing something. I bolted mine on and drove it.It runs great up hill,down hill,off camber,it`s all good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I must be missing something. I bolted mine on and drove it.It runs great up hill,down hill,off camber,it`s all good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

you must have a bone stock engine or you got lucky and its just good enough.
    I gauranty that if you had it tuned perfect for your rig you would get a lot more power out of it. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

sorry I had to bring this back but /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

do not buy this carb unless your only into rock crawling or mall wheeling.

I am so pissed off right now the thing works flawlessly in the rocks at all angles but this weekend went to dumont dunes in cali and wouldnt you know it about the top of comp hill the secondaries start flooding out and dont work . I can stop on the hill and stand on it again and it takes off fine then craps out again. the truck has enough power without the four barrels open it will still climb the hill but this is bull its the same thing that happened to the smaller avenger. oh yeah after jumping my rig a couple of times the secondaries dont work at all now they just completely flood out. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

any help would be much appreciated I am now lost and willing to pay a shop to make it right although with the last carb they couldnt figure it out. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. JK5

Why did You get a 770????
    I'm running a 350 hp/350...and I'm runnin' a 670...
    It sounds like you're runnin' to big of a carb... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. JK5

I see you're runnin' a BB...
    that explains the 770 thing...

But just like most of US...
    tuning is probably a good place to start..

11. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Why did You get a 770????
    I'm running a 350 hp/350...and I'm runnin' a 670...
    It sounds like you're runnin' to big of a carb... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

thats funny im running a 454 around 400 horse and the 670 wasnt enough at all. the original carb was bigger /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif than that.

12. TWISTEDJACK

Sounds like your secondary spring is too weak and they are opening up too easy.

13. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I see you're runnin' a BB...
    that explains the 770 thing...

But just like most of US...
    tuning is probably a good place to start..

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you mean on the tuning but it was perfect before. and its the same thing that happened to the smaller carb. a good peformance shop worked on it here in vegas last time after I couldnt figure it out and they were still stumped. like I said it works perfect in the rocks but now I dont even have secondaries.

I am by far a carb pro so I would love to spend the money in a shop if I could just find one that knows this carb?

14. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like your secondary spring is too weak and they are opening up too easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok thats easy enough to change out but why has it worked flawlessly up until now?
    the spring hasnt been changed and it worked perfect before.

15. TWISTEDJACK

Dunno..............my Holley works flawlessly /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    Springs can break, they are pretty small.

16. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Dunno..............my Holley works flawlessly /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    Springs can break, they are pretty small.

[/ QUOTE ]

if a spring broke then your secondaries would almost open by themselves. there would be no pressure to keep them closed but I will check tonight.

17. TB2Blazer

TB2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I've had mine about a year and I have only had one problem with it. I was headed down a really steep hill and didn't take a turn tight enough and the front got stuck against a tree. And everytime I would put it in reverse then hit the gas it would stall out. I have no idea why I guess cause it was such a steep hill I dunno. Other than that it is fantastic.

18. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

everyone that I have talked to that has these carbs have been happy with them but I havent yet met anyone that honestly use there rig in different styles of wheeling.

living down here in the desert I have rockcrawling behind my house so thats mainly what I do but atleast once a month we head to the dunes and thats where the carb really gets abused because your full throttle a lot on very steep climbs then immediately down another dune bouncing around and I also like to run the whoops. so the carb really gets used in the dunes.

I could walk out to my rig right now and drive down to the hammers and have no problems on any trail there but again I dont need full throttle in the rocks.

I have also tried holleys tech line and that hasnt gotten me anywhere. someone on here has to be a carb pro that can point it right out. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

19. TWISTEDJACK

I use mine for rocks, mud, street, and to pull my snowmobile trailer works good /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Do you have a good fuel filter on it??? Maybe it just got some trash in it. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    I don't want to start sounding like I WORK for holley I am just happy with the way it preforms for me. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

20. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I use mine for rocks, mud, street, and to pull my snowmobile trailer works good /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Do you have a good fuel filter on it??? Maybe it just got some trash in it. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

trust me I was loving this thing up until this weekend and its been on there since labor day weekend when I swaped it out at coos bay dunes in oregon. the one I pulled off is the same one you are running now and it did this same exact thing.

so maybe with bouncing this carb around in the dunes it loosens something up inside and makes it start running this way. as of right now there are no secondaries at all it is only running on 2 barrels.