Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Holley truckavenger ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89Jimmy, Dec 21, 2003.

1. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Hello,
    I've got a drivability problem with my 85 K5. 350, 700r4, edelbrock intake, afterburner headers, msd distributor and 6T ign. box and 8mm wires, and Holley truck avenger elec choke fed by a stock mechanical fuel pump. This setup had been working and driving fine for 7 or 8 months. When the colder weather came, I noticed that it sounded like it was loading up with fuel when idling during a warmup, first thing the am. It would settle down as I drove to work, but this weekend it has gotten undrivable. The choke is opening ok and soon enough. The truck sounds and acts choked even when the choke is visually checked and is fully open. Air filter off or on makes no difference. The engine normally idles at 750 t0 800 rpm in gear. It will sometimes try to idle at about 450 t0 500 and I need one foot on the gas and one on the brake to keep it running. Then the next stop sign i come to it will idle normally. Today I barely made it home. With no preasure on the accelerator it would run about 1600 rpm in gear. If I tried to give it gas it would cut out til I released the throttle, then catch again at 1600. Tough way to drive hilly country. When I finally got it home, it would run 2000 to 2100 in park with no pressure on the gas pedal. I tried to kick it, like off fast idle, it would just rev higher. The linkage appeared to be against the idle screw and didn't look stuck open. Sorry for the long tale of woe, but I haven't got an idea on this. I had afloat stuck once with this carb and it flooded wicked, but there is no gas out the vent tube this time, so I don't think its the floats. Any ideas where to start? Thanks.
    John

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Put a manual choke on it. I do that to all my vechiles with carbs.

3. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

If it has an electric choke, try manually pushing down the choke lever, I had this problem and it turned out to be the electric choke was'nt operating properly..

4. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I can see the choke plate with air filter off. It is fully open when the problem is occurring. I had thought of the manual choke kit as well, but I could not open it any further manually than it is now. The engine is fully warm when this is occuring. I'm still stumped.
    John

5. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

have you checked spark plugs? are they wet with fuel? check fast idle cam for proper operation. check needle and seats. truck avenger's have spring loaded. doesn't sound like thats the problem' but worth looking at. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a truck avenger on mine with a similar setup. Mine was the choke was opening too soon. With an aftermarket intake it is hard to tune for cold weather because it takes too long for the heat to warm the base of the carb. Mine runs fine after 10 minutes but getting to there is a bear sometimes.