Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Holley VS. Q-jet pro's and con's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Okiemuddog, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Holley VS. Q-jet pro\'s and con\'s

BRACKET PART ANSWERED,now I just need the pro's and con's.

Alright it has been awhile since my last question sooooo.... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifI'm back, this one has got me stumped, I just got a line on an engine for my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif, it is missing the carb and intake, not a problem because I have a dead 350 in a 74 burb that is donating the parts. The problem arises now, I am running a 700r4, I have a Q-jet and a Holley 650 6210-1 (4165) that is a direct replacemt for a Q-jet, but neither one has a bracket that is compatible with a TV cable for a 700r4. Did you guys that are running this setup buy your bracket somewhere or manufacture it? I have looked through Jeg's and Summit and neither one list a bracket for this particular carb, they just list them for 4160 and 4170 series, will these work with my Holley or can I pick one up somewhere for my Q-jet?

The next question is what are the pros and cons of running a Holley verses Q-jet. I am thinking of going back with the Q-jet due to the Holley having no history on,It was left in my garage of my old house by previous tenants. I know the Q-jet was running when the burb was parked. Either way I am going to rebuild which even one I use before installing it.

Thanks,
    Krennen

2. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Re: Bracket forTV cable on 700r4 and a carb question.

Try Bowtie Overdrive for the bracket. They specialize in the 700r4 and retrofitting them into non-OEM applications and may have what you need.

I'll let someone better versed with carbs answer your other questions.

Lance

3. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Lance,
    Thanks, that is what I needed, /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif now to just decide which carb to use. I should have thought about that site but the hamster fell off the wheel in my brain. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Unless I am missing something obvious in your post, you need the bracket for the TH350/700R4 for a Q-jet.

As a matter of fact, I believe the one for the 200C/200-4R is exactly the same piece.

It bolts to the two rear most carb bolts, so it should work with any carb as long as the carb bolt pattern/intake is setup for the Q-jet.

5. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

The Holley you are referring to is a spread bore model with the same bolt pattern as the Q-jet. The regular Holley cable adapter will not fit (different bolt pattern) & the q-jet piece will most likely hit where it crosses under the float bowl. You could make some modifications (flatten the bracket so it clears the float bowl) or find a stock bracket that bolts to the rear intake manifold bolts (used on many cars). The TV bracket on the carb linkage can be purchased from the aftermarket.... do not use an existing hole as the line pressure will be incorrect & ruin the trans.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My mistake, forgot, the trucks used the intake bolt bracket, cars got the carb bolted models.

The 700/350 TV/detent cable brackets are the same piece, so you don't have to worry about messing up the tranny. The distance from the bracket to the throttle shaft doesn't change, which is the critical measurement.

7. blueturd

blueturd Registered Member

Personally, I would use the q-jet. Haven't noticed any power or idle quality difference, but will notice fuel mileage. Holley's with the cross over fuel tube have a tendency to leak and are not always that easy to find parts for.

Q jet with it's float design are less prone to problems wheeling due to the float design, ecspecially when compared to a Holley. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif