Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Holley

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lukerz, Jul 23, 2001.

1. lukerz

lukerz 1/2 ton status

Who if anyone run's a holley 4 barrel setup??
    Lukers

83 K10 from 76 K5 & 83 C10
    Th350 Np203 355 CID
    31 X 10.5
    Plan on 2" body lift

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I was running Holley's 4011 carb, and after two years of not being able to dial it in, I run a real deep cam that pulls little vacuum, so the power valves keep dumping in fuel at idle (burn your eyeballs out rich), or when I step up to the lower ratings, don't dump in any at all when under acceleration (too lean). A carb guy I know (after F-ing around with the Holley) gave me a real good deal on a Q-jet he rebuilt and setup for me and I have been running it ever since. Works great for me!

If you didn't build it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

3. J.R.

J.R. Guest

i use a holley 3310, 780cfm. i run a healthy cam .560int.exh. if you know how to dial them in they are a great carb, there is more upkeep to them. the 780 has metering blocks for primary and secondaries so you can jet it out to your specific needs. i do alot of towing with my truck and found that holley works best for my truck, but they are more upkeep then the quadrajet style carbs. the main thing is keeping them clean, i use 3 fuel filters, one before the fuel pump, one between the pump and carb and the ones in the carb.

BIG BLOCK MAN
    "MORE POWER"!!

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I agree w/ JR... If you know Holleys well they are your best friend... if you don't then better go quadrajet. The Edelbrocks are very simple to set up as well as the carter style Edelbrocks.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

5. fatdog

fatdog Registered Member

I run a Holley 4175 spreadbore on my 71 GMC. It is on a stock 400 sb with a stock intake, and it works great. I believe Holley made this carb as a Q-jet replacement. It bolts right in place with all the proper hook ups. The one I have is 650 cfm, and I believe they also (make or made) an 800 cfm version. I've had this carb in all sorts of off level wheeling positions, and it has never stalled once. I like it equally as well as the Q-jet I run on the K-5.

Rob

Self and Spouse Proclaimed GM Junkie
    She thinks I'm Sick and... She's Right

6. lukerz

lukerz 1/2 ton status

Hey Fatdog, DId you set your carb up special (floats or jets)?
    Lukers

83 K10 from 76 K5 &amp; 83 C10
    Th350 Np203 355 CID
    31 X 10.5
    Plan on 2" body lift<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by lukerz on 07/23/01 10:33 AM.</FONT></P>

7. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

I've run Holleys for years and they do seem to require more attention than Q-Jets or Carters. I run a 600CFM #1850 with electric choke, dual feed bowls, primary &amp; secondary metering blocks, offroad kits, #65 primary jets &amp; 69 secondary with a 5.5 power valve. I build good power and use Holleys because it's the only carb I know and have used for 30 years. By the way, #3310 780CFM Holleys are verrrry old and not manufactured any more. #3310 series 1 or 2 or 3 are 750CFM and have only a secondary meting plate, no metering block or jets. Presently Holley still makes the 3310-3. Metering blocks can be added inplace of metering plate.

87 K5, D60 & 14FF, 5 sp & NP208 & 383 stroker. Build it Bulletproof and take it fishing!

8. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I've been running a Holley 4011 for about 3yrs now. Got in NIB, but never have got in dialed in like I would like. It works, but tends to bog when I get a little air or am on an severe angle. Also, I can't keep power valves in it and the fix it kit doesn't apply to the 4011. Grrrr, just want a Q-jet.

9. lukerz

lukerz 1/2 ton status

Thank you
    Lukers

83 K10 from 76 K5 & 83 C10
    Th350 Np203 355 CID
    31 X 10.5
    Plan on 2" body lift

10. fatdog

fatdog Registered Member

lukerz, I lost part of a post somewhere, it musta went into never never computer land! Anyway, no special jets or floats I just jetted it to the engine. In the event you are not familier with the 4175 Holley it is a single pump spreadbore carb with vacuum secondaries and side-hung floats. By design it seems to be better suited to a 4x4 application than some of the other Holleys I have run. I believe my success with it is due to the following.

1. It is a spreadbore--smaller primaries help keep the air velocity high while in low speed wheeling situations.
    2. Vacuum secondaries--nice smooth progressive engagement.
    3. Side-hung floats--from my experience this is a big issue as to why it works well on a 4x4. I never could get a center-hung float Holley to not flood on a 4x4 when it was off camber.

Also, if you decide to run one keep in mind mine is on a stock engine. I think you would be ok with an rv cam, but as was mentioned previously, you might get power-valve weirdness with a larger cam that reduces manifold vacuum. On the plus side, for me, has been maintenance. Once a year I replace the Napa in-line fuel filter #3032 and spray clean the carb with a can of carb cleaner. It has been on for 4 yrs now, and still runs great.

Hope this info helps.

Rob

Self and Spouse Proclaimed GM Junkie
    She thinks I'm Sick and... She's Right