Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

holly 600 double pumper

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Oct 5, 2001.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Anyone use a holly 600cfm doublepumper??? It's gonna be on a edelbrock performer...

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I run a holley 750 double pumper with mechanical secondaries on my Firebird. I love that carb. I have no problems with it. Holleys are so much easier to tune then edebrocks or carters. Just set the floats low if you climb hills so it doesn flood out and you will be fine.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

for why u put a holley ? in my experience they only give u bad gas mileage and need adjusted all the time . just .02cents
    i have a q jet works sweet .

WHATS WRONG WITH A 305 ?
    81 K10 GOODYEAR 35" MTRS
    TH350 NP 208
    STEPHENS OLD AXLES
    NO BREAKAGE :)

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I set my holley on my Firebird 2 1/2 years ago and havent had to mess with it at all. Holleys will actually give you better gas milage than an edebrock or carter carb because the new ones are set up for 400 plus hp. They run extremly rich and dont idle right. At my shop we have taken a ton of those carbs off because the car runs rough at idle and runs exremly rich, and put trhe holleys on had havent had a problem with one coming back yet.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

5. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Putting a Holley double pumper on an Edelbrock performer is like ice cream on potatoes. Edelbrock performers are a great street manifold and designed for low end torque and good fuel mileage. Holley double pumpers are meant to be used on a race engine and have no real place on the street. Yes, you can run them on the street but don't expect any real fuel mileage. Idle circuits are designed to be on the rich side, and they just can't produce the clean exhaust that many of Holley's other street carbs can. If double pumpers were so good on the street, OEM's would have used them during the muscle car wars of the 60 and 70's. They used Holley's in many cases but almost 100% were vacuum secondary operated. Makes more sense for the street. Holleys are poor choices for hard off road use but thats another story.

A good firm grip is my idea of gun control!

6. Tatman

Tatman Registered Member

Have owned 2 Holleys in all the vehicles of my past. A 750 currently on a '53 F-350 w/460ci and have nothing but trouble with it. All the rest have been Q-Jets, and have had superb performance with them no matter what the application, and much better gas mileage than the holleys ever thought of having.

www.saddletramps.com/BlazerK5.htm

7. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I have two which I've run on the K5 (double pumper and Vacuum secondaries). Around town they are all right as long as you don't have any elevation changes which require re-tuning. Off road they tend to get sloppy on hills and don't do very well. Gas mileage is ok but not great. It's like any carb there, it has a lot to do with your right foot. The smaller primaries on the Q-Jet should deliver more off throttle response and a more turbulent mixture with less fuel resulting in better gas mileage. The biggest complaint with the Q-Jet is getting the transition into the secondaries to be smooth, but once you get it dialed in, it stays dialed in well.

Verdict... I'll have a square bore vacuum sencondary holley for sale pretty soon. (sorry, the Double Pumper stays for the next street car)

"I'm looking for a Dana60 Front Axle.." I asked, "You wish! HAHA" the wrecker replied!

8. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

the accel pump on a quadra bog is a common sore spot.
    i still wonder what everyone says they 'adjust' on their holleys constantly??
    the only adjustment easily messed with is the idle mixture, and idle speed. once you get them set you never look at it again.
    off road troubles are all related to where the fuel is stored(float location) level doesnt have much(granted some) to do with it. as soon as the angle is high enough for the fuel in the bowl to be higher than the main discharge nozzle they gravity feed.

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I do a lot of elevation change out here in california going from one off road spot to another, sometimes over a 6,000 ft difference since I live at sea level. At 5,000 feet, I've got to change my mixture on the Holley as I start running rich. We all know what thats like with the back window open.

"I'm looking for a Dana60 Front Axle.." I asked, "You wish! HAHA" the wrecker replied! - <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> Pictures</a>

10. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

so you rip out the main jets on the side of the road?
    you are dedicated

11. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

No need to, just adjust the mixture on each primary, scew type

"I'm looking for a Dana60 Front Axle.." I asked, "You wish! HAHA" the wrecker replied! - <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> Pictures</a>

12. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

the idle mixture screws, right?
    i just lived with it getting fat but the highway passes dont usually exceed 1200 metres

13. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

I run a 650 double pumper on my 350 LT1 crate motor in my camaro but the blazer I run a quadrapuke