Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Holly Crap Broken Frame

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BILLY RAY, Jun 24, 2002.

1. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Well looks like I have some work to do. If any of you guys have pics. on how you fixed yours it may help. My idea is repair the frame add the frame repair kit & add a 1/2 steel plate on the back side of the frame it maybe over kill but oh well. Any help from you guys would be great.
    PIC. OF BROKEN FRAME /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

WHOA!!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif That's nasty, very nasty!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

3. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Look on the ORD site for the weld on frame brace deal. I think Mr. Fox also has done this repair and has a write up on it.
    Jim

4. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

That is kinda what I said when I got the box off. It did have a little more color to it (^$**&%$*(&$*&*(&%$*%$ ). /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

5. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

The bad thing is I had the frame kit on the truck and it broke the tack welds. I don't think it will be tack welded this time. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

OUCH...lol dont worry man..thats more of a serios problem there..but do you need an entire new floor front and back..and rear body mounts? hehehe

Bryan

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Ouch, that's a pretty bad one. I think 1/2" plate might be a bit overkill, the weld in kit and then the ORD brace should do the trick no problem. If you want to add another plate to the backside I'd probably say that 1/4" formed to the inside contour of the framerail would be more than adequete. </font color>

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Uhh, who welded on the bracket the last time? Don't let them do it this time. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Looking at what remains of the "tack welds", it's obvious that the welds didn't have any penetration into the frame. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif When properly welded in place, that bracket should become a part of the frame. Looks like the last one was just barely held in place. It isn't supposed to be tacked. It is supposed to be fully welded, but not around the full perimeter of the bracket. It's more like weld an inch, skip an inch, etc. But the key is to WELD the spots that are supposed to be welded, not just tack it in place. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

9. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

DAMN! What the heck were you doing when it let go like THAT on you? Please tell me, so I can remember to never do that in my rig! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

-Dan

10. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

That was how it was when I bought it. Dumb a$$ me never re-welded the right way. I'am for sure it will bw right when i'am done.
    How it was done. Down hill in a turn and BIG DAMM ROCKS!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

How bad is the frame rail buckled? I'm close to aquiring a new project (91 K5) with VERY SIMILAR damage. On mine, the left rail is about 2" or 3" lower than the right side. I'm concerned that the best way to fix mine will be to replace a section of that rail.

As for the repair, obviously the weld on kit and bolt on brace are a must, have you considered a second weld on kit for the inside? I was thinking that maybe the second kit could be trimmed down to fit inside the frame rail so that the inside is repair/reinforced like the outside.

What will you do about straightening it? Have you (or will you)talked to any frame shops? My fear is that, with a tear similar to yours, no one will want to fix it - only replace it. I've worked at a dealership for a long time so I know frame repairs can be successfully done, but there is still such a level of "violation" to the truck there that it troubles me.

I'm extremely interested in your outcome!

12. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

My '75 had damage less than that............and needed the frame section replaced. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif Man, that is awful.........

13. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

Do a search and read my post on frame repair. It's too long to keep doing over. Good luck. (The 1/2" plate isn't going to be any better than a thinner plate properly welded). Once you exceed the thickness of the material your welding to, what becomes the weak point!?! Food for thought...

14. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

15. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

For some reason I can't see the pic. The page loads and status says done, but it's just a blank page. Am I missing something? /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

16. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Working Link /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

17. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That's K10Andy... pic which I was able to view. I'm talking about the pic in the first post from Billy Raye.

18. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I feel your pain. I just repaired mine last week, but it was broken worse than yours. It was split completely apart at the bottom and all the way up the side where the box bolts on and almost all the way across the top. I just jacked and pulled around on it until I got it lined back up properly and welded the snot out of it where it was broken, then I took a 1/2" thick piece of plate steel and put it in the frame rail on the back side (after about 2-3 hours of grinding, cutting, and yelling). I welded the plate to the frame after bolting the steering box back on and also added a couple of grade-8 bolts for insurance. The truck may break in half one of these days, but it will never break at the steering box again.

19. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Good to hear you fixed your and it was worse than mine. Do you have any pics. of the repair?

20. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

No, I didn't take any pictures. I should have taken some, it was really bad. I went wheeling last Friday for 3-4 hours and didn't have any problems what so ever.