Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Holly Pro-jection Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by the_goat, Sep 27, 2003.

1. the_goat

the_goat 1/2 ton status

What are the advantages/disadvantages of holly projection? Could it get past emissions? I would really appreicate all the information I can get on this subject.
    Thanks,
    John

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Do yourself a favor and don't go there. I know of two Projections that barely work. We're toying with converting them to use the MegaSquirt ECM, but that's steep learning curve at first. Most bbs' that are devoted to V8 powered 4x4's have had long threads about how poor Projections are off road. There's a few that have had good luck with them, but the majority is thumbs-down.

Go with a Howell system or similar. I believe the Howell's are 50 state legal which means that if that's right it's a smog legal upgrade. The plus of the Howell's is that they use all GM parts.

3. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    I practically gave away a Holley 670 ProJection unit. Bottom line, it sucked, but that's just my opinion. It constantly required "fiddling" and never ran right, no matter how many "experts" tried. And that includes dozens of calls to Holley tech support numbers.
    Currently running a Holley 750 4-barrel, and I found a "friendly" emmissions place.
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. the_goat

the_goat 1/2 ton status

Can you add an O2 senser? WOuld thios make it any better? Has anyone had luck with these? I appreciate all of the replys so far.

5. lgk5

lgk5 1/2 ton status

i had one,didn't care for it
    it was better off road than the carb i had before it.
    the projection will not self adj for elavation(sp).
    so around phx would be fine try driveing to flagstaff,showlo
    would be stoping adj the controls.(alot)
    as far as emissions it could pass the test if they would let you mess with it while on the machine,i only had one car i had to pass in phx. but it didn't look like they were going to let you mess with any thing
    hope this helps you out

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Not trying to hijack here, How about the edelbrock injection setup? Anybody have experience with that one?

7. Lowtode

Lowtode Registered Member

What about that Barry Grant Fule injection system VFI System. Thats what I wanted but couldn't find anybody that sold it.

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Can you add an O2 senser?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you can. The more expensive versions come with one. Still wouldn't go there. There are far, far better systems to be had for the same or nearly the same $$$. Holley's computer just isn't all that great of a computer. In it's day it was a decent product, but current systems do more with less and with less hassle.

9. Lowtode

So all in all the best sytem to get in today's market would be???

10. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

If I had the money I'd try this guy .

I looked over the site and he seems to know his [darn] and the price looks right for the amount of service you get. I have had no personal experience with him so I am going solely by his site.

11. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Howell is more expensive than the previous link, but Howell himself worked for GM in Engine Management. He didn't have to reverse engineer anything since he had the knowledge from the start. Howell also offers 50 state emissions legality if you use the right parts.

12. the_goat

the_goat 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the reply's. The real reason I was looking for feul injection was because I drove to Flagstaff a few months ago and my truck had a lot less power and I was hoping by going to feul injection it would adjust for altitude. I guess I'm looking at the wrong kit.
    Thanks again everyone.

13. BigJohnson

BigJohnson 1/2 ton status

Have you actually seen any of Howell's stuff? I once thought Howell was good for the same reason you do until I saw one of their TBI harnesses. It was total crap. A lot of the wiring was shotty and the tape on the loom looked like a 5 year old did it. Also, one of the relays was a cheap no name. I was VERY dissapointed in the quality and if I had bought that thing I would have sent it right back. Also, Howell's kits do not include ignition control..its an option.

14. Lowtode

So, is there a kit out there that one could install that would be (somewhat) self adjusting, and have the reliability that we need for a "built" engine? What about the Edelbrock Performer EFI #3503 or #3500?

15. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

While a fuel injection system can adjust the air/fuel mixture to compensate for less oxygen coming into the engine at high altitude, it can't compensate for the lack of atmospheric pressure to fill the cylinders with air. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif So while you'll blow less smoke with EFI than with a carb that's setup for sea level, you'll still notice a considerable power loss.

Nothing short of forced induction can compensate for the altitude. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif The rule of thumb for a normally aspirated engine is that you lose about 3% of its power for every 1,000 feet of gain in altitude. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif So here at 7,000 feet above sea level, power is off about 21%. Start heading up into the mountains around here and your rig starts feeling really slow... Going over The Rockies, west of Denver on I-70 you reach a tad over 11,000 feet above sea level, at which point your power is down about 33%. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

16. Lowtode

[ QUOTE ]
    Not trying to hijack here, How about the edelbrock injection setup? Anybody have experience with that one?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Same Question

17. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I have seen one system installed and it didn't match your description at all. Could have been that the owner/installer cleaned it up though.

It looks like I'm about to head off into MegaSquirt direction. There are 3-4 project vehicles amongst my friends & family that need/want EFI (no IGN control either) for various reasons. ~$200 and 9 wires sounds good. I guess I'll find out about tuning one........

18. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I have been running the Edlebrock MPFI for a yr and a half now without any problems on a 383. It has been flawless in operation, and performed well.

19. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You might look into this:Turbocity.com fuel injection
    I have been using their stuff for years and it is good quality stuff.
    The systems they build all use the Rochester GM TBI. It is the most reliable TBI system ever made. You can get parts for it most anywhere that sell GM stuff.
    With a 2" bore TB (454) is is good for around 380 maby 400 HP if you tweek it right..and use the right cam They can also burn custom chips and have a pretty good tech help.
    Dont know if it will pass smog. It depends on how strict your inspections are.