Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Holly TBI

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pr1aw, Jan 23, 2003.

1. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

I have to rebuild my TBI and looking at around $160. Is anybody running the Holly TBI on a stock engine and notice any gains?

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Don't waste your money unless you have done other engine upgrades.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I agree. Unless you've got a hopped up engine I'd forget it. Buy a power chip instead.

4. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

Thanks

5. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

At 5000RPM at 85% effiency with 350c.i. motor you will only need 430cfm. At 6000 only 517cfm. 85% is pretty generous with a stock motor, not a seriously built motor is 95%, a all out race motor maybe 100%. So you have a 520cfm t.b.i., untill you increase the effiency you don't need any more. You will get more of a increase using a big block air filter setup with twin snorkels, and a K&N filter. OR you can cut out your base plate of your filter and rivet in a new aftermarket high flow unit that will not have that restrictive ring around your injectors. Always glad to help, had to make my own solutions when I did it.

6. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Ahhh, good timing for this one!!!

I was thinking about the turbo-city tbi but maybe my motor still doesn't warrant it. Free-flow dual, headers, K$N, stage2 chip, spacer.
    Think I'll just go with an adjustable fuel-pressure regulator instead. Anyone modified their own like it says at third-gen??

smack

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You dont really need a bigger TB. The stock ones will build up to 300+ Hp np problem.
    I have modified my stock 1 11/16" bore TBI with the following from: turbocity.com

Air flow Enhancer- Gave me more power
    TBI 1/2" Spacer- Helped with throttle response and low end
    Injector Spacer- More air flow
    Adjustable fuel press regulator- This is handy to be able to adjust the pressure to get the best sprey pattern it was one of the last mods I did to the TB and it helped to really fine tune it. With the stock regulator it seemed to starve out at higher rpm. The adjustable one cured it. Definatly gave more power.
    You can modify your own as per 3rd gen but the turbocity regulator has a big screw that hangs down you can turn with your fingers and is a lot easier to adjust
    Flow matched stock 55 lb hr injectors- If you need injectors, these are the only way to go
    I modified the MAP sensor with the fuel mixture selector.-Helps for better fuel economy.
    DUI ignition- In my opinion it is better than MSD and you dont need a box.
    Also have headers, flowmaster 3" single pipe, K&N and modified cold air intake.
    My K5 runs Very well for a stock 350 Everyone who has driven my truck has been impressd. Or so they tell me.

8. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Thunder, so you did get the bigger bore $220 tbi from turbo-city?

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

No. Still using the stock one. If I ever decide to put in a better cam intake manifold and heads I may get a reworked one. But for now my engine runs too good to tear into it. I'm a firm believer in Murphy's Laws so i'll leave like it is till it needs a valve job.