Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Holly Truck Avenger carb-anyone have experience with one ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Drewminator, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Drewminator

Drewminator Registered Member

Does anyone have experience with a Holly Truck Avenger carb good or bad ? Please let me know what you think after using one or hearing of someone using one. I am thinking about one for my sb 406. I have occasional problems with steep declines and stalling.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Holleys suck. They can make the design better, but it still won't work as well as a Q-jet. Just do yourself a favor and run from squarebore carbs like the plague.

3. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

4. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you decide to get one order it from www.carbsonly.com
    They have them cheaper than anyone else. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Holleys suck. They can make the design better, but it still won't work as well as a Q-jet. Just do yourself a favor and run from squarebore carbs like the plague.

[/ QUOTE ]Exactly the opposite of what most people think...

EDIT... by the way - I have a Q-jet, and I want a Holley Truck Avenger. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Here are some pictures of a Truck Avenger carb -vs- a "stock" Holley.

Holley Truck Avenger

I don't know if I believe all the hype, but it is a trick carb - no doubt.

7. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

How long have you been runnnin' the carb???
    Was tuning the carb...any touble???

I need to get rid of this Edelbrock Performer!!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    It HATES angles!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

nice sig line Twisty!

9. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Personally I have no experiance with one but Jay at the Carburetor Shop here in Denver thinks they are junk. From what he says, the special circuit they have makes the vehicle run like crap at low and mid throttle. I was there when he had a F-150 on his chassis dyno and was having nothing but problems with it. As soon as an Edelbrock was installed, everything was fine.

Jay is one of the few experts in Denver that deals with alot with Carbs and FI. You can call or email him if you want more info about the Avenger carb.
    http://www.thecarburetorshop.net

No flaming, I'm just reporting what he said about it. Might also check the other boards:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=3a25184ee687987b39092d3c21ffc7e8&threadid=151192

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=3a25184ee687987b39092d3c21ffc7e8&threadid=152009

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=3a25184ee687987b39092d3c21ffc7e8&threadid=153090

Jay suggests the tried and true Quadrajet or the Edlebrock Thunder Series part # 1826 (650cfm) but I'd be leaning toward the Quadrajet for off-road use.

10. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    From what he says, the special circuit they have makes the vehicle run like crap at low and mid throttle.

[/ QUOTE ]

We had one with a massive lean spot just off idle, We found that the Transfer slot was incorrectly machined, picture below.
    Incorrectly machined Transfer Slot

11. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Ya like that ?

12. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

JMHO I compare aftermarket carbs to a Dana44 or a 10 bolt, you can put money into both of them but neither of them will ever be as good as FI or a d60, see what im sayin? If your gonna run a carb just Keep it cheap, with the tried and tru Rochester Quadra puke. How much are you gonna spend on a Edelbrock Q-jet or a holly Truck avenger... 400-5? with that much cash you are almost ready to go for FI arent you?

13. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have had no trouble with mine so far. I just bolted it on and adjusted the idle and mixture. It has ran great. I haven't had it that long, but I have put 1000 miles on it or so and have no complaints. Several guys that I go wheel with run the edelbrock carbs and they were impressed on how well carb does.

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I thought the first time we checked, thanks to your images, that out we found there was in fact no special 'anti gravity' float bowls.
    it turns out to be the same as every other holley carb made?

as soon as the angle of the carb puts the top of the fuel level in the float bowls higher then the main discharge boosters the fuel begins to gravity flow rather then being drawn by vacuum, massive rich condition.
    as all of those things are unchanged in the truck avenger it is functionally the same as every other Holley.

how do you keep your dog from eating the tinfoil hat?
    I think you are going to have to chip in for the surgery to remove the tinfoil from my dogs gut, he yelps a lot when trying to do his business.
    sad really.
    next try will be duck tape to hold it on.

15. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I don't personally own one, but two close friends do. The both say they perform very well off road but suck on the road. The sputter and surge and are generally un-driveable on the road.

16. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

what did they do to mess the carb up?
    every Holley I have owned new ran flawless on the street out of the box after setting the idle.
    if the carb is 'sound' you can tune a holley to any engine(which is why any used one is usually FUBAR'd by previous owner fixing what isnt broken)
    you will not find a better carb for a V8 then a holley.
    the floats do not allow steep ascents or descends(there is current NO SOLUTION that I am aware of for the holley),
    so 4x4ing is only place another brand will beat it "Quadra-bog"
    I have yet to see a Predator so it may be a competitor in that realm