Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hollywood Rant

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Inu-Hanyou1776, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Sometimes Hollywood burns me up. Guess what tops everybody's Oscar favorites list?

Gay-happy, insult-to-my-heritage movie 'Brokeback Mountain'.

'Walk The Line' is probably NOT going to even get so much of a nomination just BECAUSE of it being about Johnny Cash (I bet everybody in Hollywood spat and seethed on his last music video, 'Hurt'), while Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon, the actors who played Johnny and June, are now probably going to be treated as outcasts in Hollywood because they decided to take such roles and promote what Johnny and June stood for.

I tell ya, the Oscars are lost, and the event has now just simply become another outlet for the extreme-leftist liberals intent on destroying that's upright and good. I ain't watching them ever again until things change, which they probably won't.

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Easy there trigger

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

hey, at least its Brokedick Mountain and not anime...

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I thought it was pretty funny when I read the movie review page of the major paper here. Brokeback got heaping praises while every other movie got slammed by the critic, including Narnia, which blew past Harry Potter like the next day or something... :haha: :haha: Yeah, I wonder how that critic votes... :surepal:

5. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

That's what they should have named that movie! Anyway, speaking of 'Walk The Line', Reese Witherspoon actually took a teeny-weeny bit of a liberty in her portrayal of June Carter, notably with her singing.

I've listened several times now to the orginal Cash/Carter recording of "Jackson" and I have to say that when Carter started singing her solo parts, I actually flinched a little at the tint of harshness and edginess I heard in her voice. Witherspoon decided that instead of duplicating exactly that, she instead would smooth things out a tad and try to sound more musical.

Unfortunately for Mr. Phoenix, he couldn't do that, he had to try and replicate every nuance of Johnny's voice as best as he possibly could, and he did darn fine job. I've read that he spent four years getting himself ready for this movie! Before he started work on 'Walk The Line', Joaquin Phoenix said he'd never touched a guitar or sang in his entire life! Well, I think he's discovered now that maybe he possibly could have made it in the music business too.