Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HOLY &*^% (close call)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MEPR, Sep 9, 2003.

1. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

So i was on my way back from the ORV park in my f-150, its raining perty hard. I have to turn onto a highway to get home from the park so i do as i usually do and get into the throtle perty good. I instantly start spinning the 33" TSLs on the truck and the rpms shoot to 3500 (that realy high for 300 inline six). The truck swings to the right and i get it back straight and im through the corner so i give gas again and it does the same thing. Only heres where things get interesting, it then throws the power steering belt, so now im wrestling the thing that cant find traction whith no steering to speek of and theres a curve in the highway. By this time my friend who was riding whith me is realy getting worried (even more so becouse im perfectly silent which dosnt happen unless im stressed or worried...). Well i get it off the highway and go walking back down the road for the belt. It was in the median so i run out and grab it and throw it back on. All was well becouse now i know when its wet i have to shift the thing at 1500rpm (before it hits the torque band), and it will instantly break loose even in third if you go higher than 2000rpm. This winter is going to be fun... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    This winter is going to be fun... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    This may be a good time to go out and buy some all terain tires for the winter months /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif They do much better on ice/snow and even rain slick roads.

Also do you carry much weight in the back of your truck? Adding 500-1000# of sand will help keep the back of a pickup from braking loose. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Just learn throttle control with slippery roads - ease into it. Not necessarily the tires fault....

4. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i know what you saying about rain.i have 33in. boggers on my 350 super duty,it has a v-10 and manual 5 speed.in snow and every where else it has no problem, but when it's raining(hard rain that is)it's hell to leave a traffic light.i can be driving 40 to 45 mph,give it gas to pass someone and the tires will break loose and rev to 5000 rpm. man that pisses me off. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

6. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Why not go all the way and do some groovin' /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif [​IMG]

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Siping and grooving are not quite the sanem, but yeah.. Do both! Siped grooved swampers. I think I'm going to try that hacksaw blade bendy with wood and tape on 180 amps tricka to groove mine...

8. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

I love the job done on my Swampers. Of course, they were already grooved when I got them, got em used. They are better in the rain than the BFG Mall Terrains that used to be on the truck.

9. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    its raining perty hard. i do as i usually do and get into the throtle perty good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think that may be your problem? It's called different driving habits for different weather situations /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

10. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

i dont know my biggest problem is im not used to the torque the ford puts out in adverse whether (500lbs ft @1800rpm) and then swampers on top of that. Remember im used to a truck that makes 150lbs ft @2500 on 27.5 A/Ts. It was just kinda a funny thing, i didnt think my ford would have any problem becouse earlier that day i was driving around in my luv and driving as normal whith no probs. I was thinking of seeing how bad a swampers ice preformance was this winter but after this i dont think ill even look at it in the winter. The luv plows through ice and snow /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    500lbs ft @1800rpm)

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I thought they were around 260 @ 2000

12. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

He's been driving that 4 banger to long /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

mines been built up. Bored .040 over, MSD, 500cfm Holley, K&N, Clifford Aluminum intake and dual headers, dual 2" straight pipe, and Clifford 290/300 cam(.5565/549 lift and 1.60 rocker ratio). It will in theroy rev to 6500rpm whith that cam but i dont have rockers and push rods yet so i dont rev mine past 3500. Mine is putting out in the nieghborhood of 330hp@3000rpm and 500lbs ft@1800. I have about $2000 into the motor.
    But your right a stock carbed 300-6 will make 120hp@3000rpm and about 210lbs ft@2000rpm. The fuel injected ones make 175hp@3300rpm and 250lbs ft@2000rpm

14. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

hey dont knock the 1.8L isuzu! its a built 4banger /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Hold on tight.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

oh yeah were talking 125hp and 150lbs ft /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

17. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

If you're concerned about the winter - Bridgestone Winter Duellers or Bridgestone Blizzaks are amazing winter tires. I honestly couldn't believe the difference they made when I lived in Alberta - after driving with them I wouldn't go another winter without them. When I got a different winter truck and bought a set for it I was amazed all over again. The only thing comparable that I've driven is a set of studded dedicated winter tires. I even throw them on my pickup here in Missouri, though I'm not sure what we get here really qualifies as winter /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

18. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Didn't you recently jackknife a truck towing another truck on a trailer, and wreck at least one of them? Maybe you should take a hint and adjust your driving habits? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif</font>