Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Holy COw, ENOUGH ALREADY!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DBLAZER, Oct 22, 2000.

1. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

WOW, boy do we love our trucks????? It seems like every other post I read is someone trashin their K5. My piece of SH[​IMG] or my money pit or it is always braking. Jeez if I was an outsider I would think that these things are pieces of crap, which they are NOT!!!!! I just wanted to say that YES I have put well over 18000 dollars in K5 but it was all 95% OPTIONAL. Almost all of my money has been in UPGRADES. I have tried to build my rig with the tuffest and most proven parts that I could find and that has cost me money. Why, because I hammer it when I am wheeling it. I take mine where they say I wont fit and I am hard on it, then I drive mine to work the next day. It has never let me down or left me on the side of the road. The only "problems" I have had have almost all come from user abuse. I think that is something that all should take into consideration. These trucks are driven HARD. Most people get behind the wheel and feel impowered and drive these things into the ground, dont perform maintenence and upkeep, and like most things in our use it up and throw it away society, they get rid of it. That is where we come in, that is when we buy them and care for them. That is where we have to fix the damage done by the people who had them before us. THAT is why they seem to always break. That is why some of you have to keep putting money into your PIECES of ... NOT because they are junk but because they havent been cared for. I would venture to say that any of you who have one owner vehicles or who have purchased your K5 from people who at least performed "normal" maintenence have rigs that are comepletely dependable. These are, in my opinion, some of the toughest and best DAMN built vehicles ever to come out of our COUNTRY. THEY ARE NOT A PIECE!!!!!!

I am saying this for all of you who find this website for the first time, and see all of these posts about the repairs and read about people who have "dumped" all this money into their "money pits" or are always fixing their "pieces". Most of us here are hard on our vehicles, we put them in places that GM never in their wildest dreams thought of. Hell, I put mine in places that when I get to the top I usually look back and think "Holy Cow, I drove up that??!!"
    Sorry for the rant and rave, but I feel we should watch what we say, well let me rephrase, we all have the right to say what we please. I WISH we would not trash our true loves or belittle them by calling them money pits, or pieces of whatever, I hope I dont Offened any of you regulars here because I am NOT directing this at any of one of us but at all of us. For those of you newbies or people thinking of buying a K5, They are the BEST BUILT vehciles around. Go for it. Remeber that when you buy one, they were probably abused before you, and will tak a little TLC to get them back to spec, but once done, you will have a very very VERY dependable vehicle that will treat as good, if not better then you treat it!!!! See ya later, HAVE A NICE DAY!!!![​IMG]

[​IMG]
    http://dblazer.coloradok5.com

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have to agree!! My truck was mightily abused before I ever got a hold of it (rolled at least once) and lived a good part of its life in the salt belt.
    When I look at the money I've spent on it I don't count stuff like brakes, clutch, etc. because that is just catching up on what the previous owner failed to maintain.
    Money pit? Hardly! See my user name? tRustyK5. Thats right its rusty, not for much longer, but mostly its TRUSTY!
    I have never once been left on the side of the road with this truck. I have towed a 5300 lb trailer all down the coast of the US from our home to Huntington Beach and back in the middle of summer without a single breakdown. My truck is 20 years old, and is also driven daily and wheeled hard regularly. How many other makes of truck or 4x4 would do this well? None in my opinion!!
    Ugly is not a permanent thing, its kind of 'stealth', like racing a 'sleeper', no-one expects it to do well. But my truck does do well, day after day after day!

Theres my 2 cents.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I haven't had my Blazer for long, but you are right. Three weeks after buying the Blazer, I had to spend $1600 on a new trans, $200 for a new radiator, and front breaks. All was do to past abuse. I have many plans for it and don't plan to keep track of how much I spend on it. I have dumped a load of cash in my bikes, buggies and other trucks, and all of them are only as reliable as the maintenance that I do. I have no doubt my K5 will be no different.

blazen91

4. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

5. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

I have to say, I have put all of about $500 into my K5 including the purchase price, and expect to have less than $1000 into it when its done (well mostly done), and I have no reason to believe that it will be any less dependable than ANY other vehicle I've had. As a matter of fact I know it will be more dependable than the Plymouth Grand Fury that I used to have, because it was constantly leaving me stranded. The dollar amounts above may seem low, but I have never had a problem finding Chevrolet parts cheap. A friend of mine has a DO*G* and he puts the majority of you guys to shame when it comes to $$$$$ invested in a vehicle and he doesn't really have much DO*G* to show for his money. Please don't be offended by this, I'm just saying count your blessings, you could be building a DO*G*, or worse yet a FO*D, then you'd really have NO $$$$$.

Jeff427
    <font color=red>Mud Dog Off Road Club</font color=red>
    http://muddogoffroad.coloradok5.com

6. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I bought my truck 14 months ago with 108k miles on it and I haven't had to put any money into it to keep it running. From what I can tell, the previous owner took VERY good care of the drivetrain because it has 124k+ miles on it now and it runs like a brand new engine. Unfortunately they didn't take such good care of the body and I had to put on a new tub. Since I bought the truck I've put about $5000 into it so I can drive it as hard as I need to to get through a trail, and know I'm still going to get home at the end of the day. This is the best vehicle I've ever owned and the most reliable.
    Like DBLAZER said, if your someone looking at buying a K5, do it, they are among the best vehicles ever built. Yesterday I saw my 33" tires completely dissappear as soon as I hit a mud pit, and while my friends were trying to decide who was going to get the strap off the back of my truck, I got myself out. Later I pulled a Hummer (7000+ lbs) out of a pond and up a 4' bank in one pull. Both times my friends jaws were on the ground. Even I was amazed when I pulled the Hummer out, he was in muck up to his headlights and I didn't think I was going to budge him.

Anyway, I'm going on too much... When you see us "bitching" about breaking and fixing things, it's because we're about 100 times harder on our vehicles than the average person. How many times do you see someone driving over boulders the size of a metro with their daily driver? I've got friends who do it every weekend.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org

7. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>That's why I just bought my baby new tires and rims yesterday, I bought the Blazer 2 1/2 years ago from an auto body man so everything on the outside was new, however he took out his nice 355 motor prior to selling leaving me with what I was told to be a fresh re-built 350. Well, lo and behold 3 months later, the thing took a crap on me so I decided to never let this happen again. I went out and bought a Beck Racing Engine for it because they are tried and true. Not cheap, but built great ! This was the whole purpose behind it. Next spring I will be redoing the interior with carpet and door panels, etc, because the previous owner didn't keep it too nice. Now, back to the beginning of this post, I just spent a grand on tires and rims for my baby, I even bought a set of 5 so I won't be left stranded trying to find another 35" tire just like mine to replace it with. If it ever does happen, I will be prepared, and themoney I spent now will be worth it in every way. So I say to you guys, If at all possible, spend some hard earned money on your vehicles. You can't take it with you and you won't have to dump it off to the next guy to deal with. Take pride that you can still go out to the garage or driveway, lift the hood and wrench on it yourself. Try and do that with these new $30,000 - $40,000 4x4 on the market today, not to mention, what good are they really off road ? If they break, you have to take it somewhere and pay through the @$$ to get fixed and come away with an empty wallet. Which do you prefer ? I for one love my Blazer and plan on keeping it as long as I can and taking care of it all the step of the way. SEMPER K5 !!</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

8. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

Gimme GM anyday! I've spent more time, and lost more blood working on my buddy's Bronco than on my Jimmy.

P.S. Ford engineers are sadistic

Call my rig an SUV... And I'll tear your lungs out.

9. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

That was a long post man. I'm kind of glad someone said that though. The same is true for me. I WANTED to buy a stock, completely trashed, 73-75 Blazer with a stick. Thats exactly what I got, and even with the current $12,500 total price tag, if I could go back in time and change something, I wouldn't change a thing.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

10. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

11. gassman

gassman 1/2 ton status

Part of owning one of these fine rides is taking pride in it. I don't care what it cost me. I love my K5 and love when people look at me in ahh! Don't count the money, but count the good times and good feelings that you get from your K5.

12. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

I love my K5, just wish I had twins.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>