Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HOLY CRAP BATMAN my 12bolt is toast!

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by juanblzer, Jan 5, 2005.

1. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

-paul harvey voice-
    And now for the rest of the story...

Alright, as many of you know I have a blazer (using that term pretty loosley) that is pretty much a daily driver. Recently, I got my grandad's 2wd 1970 c-10 longbed running and it is now being used for winter duty (it's been raining and snowing pretty good up here).

To make a long story short, I was driving in a neighborhood looking at some houses for sale and I hear a big bang. I get out to see if it was merely a u-joint but to my horror gear oil is dumping everywhere and the pin? is sticking out of the rear diff cover. I don't have the time to tear into it or replace the gears etc. I don't have the money to spend a lot of dough on the rear axle.

My question:
    Does anyone have any leads on a complete rearend (from a junked c-10) that would bolt in. I don't want to weld or anything like that. I'm pretty much just wanting to bolt in a replacement axle. It has a t350 and coils in the rear.

Any leads?

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

12 b rear...

Juan,

I don't have a 12... but I have a 10b - 30 spline rear axle that came out of an 89 Burb.

Is your axle a 5 lug or 6 lug?

Marv

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You could probably grind just a little bit off the end of the 12 bolt shafts ( 10 bolt crosshaft is thicker ) , and stick them in that 10 bolt and weld on the coil spring stuff , I ran 10 bolt shafts in a 12 bolt for 2 months by ADDING material , just go the opposite , maybe it will work :thinking:

4. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

5 or 6 lug?

Marv, I am 6 lug on this truck. Whatcha got?

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Juan, IIRC those coil spring rear first gens use dual ' I ' beam links that go on top of the axle via a standard leaf spring perch and are held on with square u bolts. It takes about $20 and 50 minutes to change the pads out on an axle once it is out of the vehicle. I don't think it will be too hard if you can find an axle.

6. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Yup....

standard spring pads (like for leaf spring vehicles) are different that what's on those old "coil spring" trucks.... I'm not sure how hard it would be to take the old brackets off and re-weld them onto a newer axle... but I'm sure it's do-able.:waytogo:

Juan,

The axle I have is a 30 spline 10b, 3.73 gears w/ gov loc. Was working fine when swapped out in favor of 14b stuff. drum to drum.

If you could send me down the old axle - i could swap the mounting pads over for you....

:thinking: ... BTW... where does the "track bar" attach? Is that a "weld on" or "bolt on" bracket...??

Marv

7. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

12 bolt searchin...

well I found a few options:

1. I have an old man up in Ashfork with parts for 3/4 ton. He's really fair on his prices but I don't know if I want to really dig into this project that deeply.
    2. A local junkyard says he probably has a truck with the same setup for a rear axle that he will let go complete for $200.
    3. I have a line on an 81 chevy with a blown motor for free! the 10 bolt is 5 lug though

8. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I wish I found a free 81 is it short or long bed?

9. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

5 lug and 6 lug shaft interchange as long as it is the same width.

10. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

the track bar (or pan hard bar) bracket is apart of the axle housing/it sits on the topside of the diff, but with the right tools :hack: :grind::weld: u should be able to cut it off and reweld it on the new axle.

11. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

juam I found one in a local yard off 35th/broadway?? they charge about 150-175 it appeared to be complete.