Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Holy crap! Been running stock rod bearings on a .010 underground crank!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by y5mgisi, Aug 22, 2004.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

First off let me say that i have put an esay thousand miles on the truck with it like this /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. But i was strting to get worried when my oil pressure would drop to about 5PSI when warm. Plus i had s knock above 3000 rpm. So i pulled the oil pan and every single rod was loose on its journal. I could grab the flex plate and rotate it 3/4 of an inch either way before it would take up the slack i had between the bearings and the crank!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif So i pulled one of the caps and mic'ed the rod journal and found it to be .010 smaller than stock. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif So i put in a set of RIGHT bearings and wouldent ya know it.. I had good oil pressure and no more knock /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif My step dad is amechanic and he couldent belive that it even lasted a day like that. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Not even one spun bearing /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

you got lucky!! But glad you found it in time!

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thats Chevy engines for you. You would be surprised how much a Chevy engine can take before it blows up. I took an old 67 Chevy Biscayne with a 327, and drained the oil out of it, then put a brick on the accelarator. It ran for 45 minutes that way before it let go.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I took an old 67 Chevy Biscayne with a 327, and drained the oil out of it, then put a brick on the accelarator. It ran for 45 minutes that way before it let go.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I was there that day . I would of stopped you . Because my project is sitting in my garage with NO engine to hook up to the 465 /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    wish I was there that day . I would of stopped you . Because my project is sitting in my garage with NO engine to hook up to the 465

[/ QUOTE ]

That was 25 years ago when small journal 327's where a dime a dozen. I bought the car as a piece of junk for $50. That engine had over 200,000 miles on it.

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    That was 25 years ago

[/ QUOTE ]

I had lots of cars then , maybe a good 30 or 40 ...............1/64th scale , I was 5 /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

7. 1badv10

1badv10 Registered Member

25 years ago? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

well my mom was pregnant with me /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    not to call you old or anything

glad you found that in time amazed that you didnt do any damage...

8. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Youngsters....... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

DAMN!!and I was impressed with an old honda that ran for 26 minutes WFO with no oil or water!! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

10. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

I had a Subaru Loyale in high school that I drove for a year with only 1qt of oil and the radiator only half full. I also had to stand on the brake pedal to get it to stop. Even then I had to trow in a prayer for good measure. The driver seat was broken and layed back so I had to use a pillow behind my back to drive. Also had to double clutch to upshift but could downshift normally. It was a total piece of junk but the power windows and locks worked as did the radio so I was set.