Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Holy Crap Undercover cars Batman, LEO Q's

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by surpip, Jan 14, 2005.

1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

So My GF and I are gettin off the freeway yesterday in my hunt for patato gun parts, and we see a new Chevy Silvarado with a camper shell on it, pulled over to the side of the road with a explorer in fron of it. I notice the trucks lights are flashing, so im like hummm.... what is that, sombody starts walkin toward the back of the truck, low and behold its a uniformed officer and her turns on a set of yello blue flashers on in the back of the camper. I was like holy crap thats crazy, it was a new truck, and it was sliver, no extra antennas or any thing to give away that it was a cop truck.
    So we were at dinner that night, and her dad is like, no way im stoppin if a unmarked car tries to pull me over, you know cause of all those crazy people out ther that pretend to be cops, and kidnap people or steal there stuff.
    So im thinkin, you would probally still get busted for evading right? Just because its unmarked dosent mean you dont have to stop right? I mean that is a valid point, i would be kinda freaked out too..........:confused:

2. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I saw an unmarked sherrif's car the other day... same thing, no special antennas, didn't see any lights or anything other than a cop in the driver's seat and the special license plates that police cars have here...

On the Silverado note, there's a sweet Police Silverado here in Cheyenne... I wish I had a camera phone so I could take a pic of it... crew cab, long bed, a very low profile light bar with LED's... It's quite awesome...

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Ya? this one had regular cali. plates and no light bars, if you saw it drivin down the road you wouldent be able to tell at all it was a cop truck

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Not necessarily. In a lot of places, states mandate that vehicles that work primarily traffic enforcement will be easily identifiable to the public as a law enforcement vehicle and the officer will be in uniform.

Now if an unmarked is attempting to stop you, most everyone advises to keep going, and to call 911 on the cell phone and let them know what is happening and that you request a marked unit to come to the location.

My advise would be to use a little common sense. I'm pretty sure that your pole smoking, crackpot sleazebag who uses the unmarked car to do their BS will not spend the money we do on those little flashy lights. Those Kojak lights from the 70's are not exactly common fare for us anymore. It's all LED and halogens and lots of them and those lights are not cheap. Also, most states also have it written in their vehicle codes descriptions on what exactly makes an emergency vehicle, in regards to the light setup. All blue, one red, one blue flashing light, blah blah blah. California for example states that one solid red light display to the front of the vehicle is mandatory.

So in closing, if the car has enough flashing lights to pull off a landing at Chicago's O'Hare Airport at night, then it's going to be a cop. If it's some cheapskate with one red light that operates at about 2 revolutions per minutes, then it more than likely ain't gonna be us. Even then, if you feel uncomfortable, call 911, tell them what is going on and would like to confirm that the person behind you is a cop or if you don't have that option, keep driving until you find a well lighted place with people around it, that will deter a ****head from doing their thing.

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

You have to stop, if your worried that it might be the boogie man wanting to molest you just roll down your window part way and tell him you want a regular cop too and he'll call one in for you, of course they will beat you within an inch of your life but it's all good....:ignore: :whistle:

6. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

If they have the proper lights (LEDs etc.) on thier vehicle, pull over. Trust me, you don't want to be slapped with an evading citation. Besides, to get pulled over by an unmarked means that you had to have been doing something really stupid or dangerous. Most of the time the Lt. or Captains are driving the unmarked vehicles and you have to be doing something very out of the ordinary for them to pull you over.

7. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

-OR-They could be FBI :cool1:

I've met and had dinner with an FBI agent that supervises of my town's area and he took me out afterward to look at his car. Comletely stock expedition, but as soon as he flipped a switch the parking lot lit up like it was a disco club since there were so many hidden lights. Hopefully I can get an internship with that guy :D

8. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

:haha: :haha: :rotfl: :rotfl: haha thats hela funny, Ya I(me ) would stop, but he was like "i dont think id stop, thats kinda freaky." Ya its pretty easy to tell, those thing flash pretty bright, and yes Common scence rules the day again, but i think its gettin bread out of people now a days:mad:

9. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Unmarked vehicle use is becoming more and more common. Some supervisors as mentioned earlier are in unmarked cars and may be in plain clothes. If you are being pulled over by an unmarked car and you are suspicious.

1: Turn on hazards to signal that you are aware you are being pulled over and not trying to elude.

2: As earlier mentioned look for well lit place with people ie gas station supermarket etc.

3: You can call on cell phone however no telling what department the officer works for and where 911 is being answered. The officer may not be dispatched by the communication center you are speaking to but they may be able to send a city or county officer to the location to verify the validity. If you are from out of the area or in a remote location your cell call may go several hundred miles away and be answered by someone in another state.

4: You could also call on your cell phone to your house or a friend and advise them what is going on so they know where you are This way whoever is pulling you over knows you are speaking to someone on the other end of the phone so there is a person that can at least hear what is going on. This also may affect the language the officer uses or how he speaks to you.

5: if you did stop and are concerned it may be a phony ask for badge, ID card, supervisors name and phone # and tell the officer why you want these things. Officers who use unmarked cars are aware of the public's concern and shouldn't take offense to your actions.

All those in favor of not being stopped PLEASE RAISE YOUR RIGHT FOOT!

HAVE A NICE DAY! DAMMIT!:grin:

10. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

We have unmarked Crown Vics here in all colors, with civilian plates and Limo tinted windows, but when they light you up, it looks like a 1000 Christmas trees. Pretty much no question they are the law. Like someone said, common sense.

John

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I dunno about you guys, but as of several years ago, me and my family do not stop for unmarked Police.

Or kill you. <-this has been the biggest thing in the news lately around me.
    Here's a tip:

If the car isn't white with blue/black letters, we're going to either a police station to pull over, or waiting til he calls in black/blue and white's for backup, or we run out of gas. Unmarked officers should be prepared to expect a civilian not to pull over immediately for them, I don't think that's unreasonable at all. I can understand that an officer in an unmarked car may want someone to pull over ASAP if they're suspected of a serious crime or in a getaway or something, but even though he can't know what I'm thinking, he should understand that if I change to 25mph but don't stop, I don't plan to run.

Think of it from a criminal's point of view;
    The best way to get you to pull over is to crash into you (which creates much evidence I'd guess), or get you to trust me. If I wanted you to pull over bad enough, I'd do everything possible to make myself as believable as possible.
    Bubba, don't underestimate the "underground" or "black market". There's a huge illegal market for just about anything you want. I know a guy from queens who claims he can make any vehicle looked like a police vehicle. It may not be regulation, but citizen Joe couldn't tell the difference unless he knew the law and counted the flashes.

A few days ago, 2 or 4 guys did the same thing as the other story that's been all over our news, pulled someone over in an "unmarked" car, they just didn't shoot anyone. A passing marked car foiled that one.
    Here it is:
    http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/crime/ny-lijack12q4112259jan12,0,1234939.story?coll=ny-licrime-archive

So, all in all, I would not pull over immediately. I would use the quoted tip above; Use my cell phone, put on my hazards, and get to a well-lit and populated area before stopping.

12. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

As you said, I can buy a bunch of strobe lights off ebay for $100, definately enough to fool someone into thinking that I am a cop. When the average law abiding citizen gets pulled over their heartbeat skyrockets and they get get scared, they don't check the color/number of lights on a cop car. The law in Illinois is that if an unmarked car (Illinois used to have a lot of Camaros) is pulling you over and you are suspicious that you should continue driving as normal and it is the officer's responsibility to call for a marked unit to assist with the stop. I drive a semi truck so I get to deal with DOT (guys paid to only pull over and inspect commercial vehicles) quite a bit. They drive about any type of vehicle imaginable and aren't very well lit. The dot officers a lot of times wear dark blue jumpsuits, so it is really hard to tell at a glance if they are legit or not - and we all know that it is illegal for truck drivers to carry a weapon, so they make an easy target.

13. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Truck drivers can't carry !? I'd think they'd be the number one target on the highway besides friggin brinks trucks and whatnot...

14. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

NJSP has unmarked Durangos that I see on 195, 295, and the Turnpike occasionally. They're the SRT's, or whatever the designation is for the hi-performance Durango. I've seen them in dark blue, black, and a dark red, with the 17" or 18" aluminum wheels, not the cheapo steelies that give away a lot of other unmarked vehicles. The only external clue I could see was around sunset - with the sun low on the horizon shining through the windshield, it silhouetted the 6 strobe light enclosures in the back window. One extra antenna visible, and it was a glass-mount that looked just like a cellphone antenna. Once they light up, though, there's no doubt they are LE; every stock light enclosure has a strobe in it, along with 4 strobes behind the grille and front bumper/airdam.

15. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Bubba was so eloquent about this I am speechless..... that boy has been studying....

dale DONT pull over and then tell us what happened....:)
    Most non fed agencies here in cali have e plates....

I would think twice myself stopping late at night in a non public place if I had any doubts... of course my pistola is at hand... if the guy isnt uniform or displaying id I probably wouldnt want to talk to him anyway...
    Unmarked officers dont want to be mistaken for some dirtbag... and so generally dont do traffic stops... why deal with some idiot for a traffic infraction... I guess it happens...

Back when I was in the other world I hooked a guy for impersonation in West Hollyweird...parked in a red zone...looked like a LAPD plainwrap right down to the mike hung on the mirror (attracted my attention...real police dont do that)... ran the plate which came back to "One World Airport Police" L A address) Im thinking WTF is that... I interview some of the local street hustlers and they say the guy is a cop and trolls for little boys... NOW im pissed so I wait for the idiot... detain him for a possiible impersonation investigation,, find he has a real podunk montana deputy sheriffs badge (sold on the internet) on him... so I hook him.. take the car.. etc etc...
    Turns out the dopes at DMV let the registration name go through without even batting any eye....
    during booking he had womens nylons on with dildo where his man parts should have been... (discovered by the famale deputy jailer who shrieked with disgust... while we all looked on and laughed)
    he plead out... to disorderly conduct,,,
    Kalifornia.. got to love it

There are plenty of police impersonations that I recall but as mentioned before they arent very sophisticated..... oh course tell that to ted bundy and company... or the legit on-duty chippie out around riverside a couple of years back that stopped women and murdered one or two when they wouldnt have sex with him... this however is AN ANOMOLY... and I dont think you are pretty enough for that:)
    cam

ps very funny ads mr moderator... dont encourage any squirrels with the availability of red lights!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2005
  16. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

aww come on cam, im pretty hott:D ;)

17. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Yep, no firearms. I'm not sure what the knife limit is. That's why a lot of truckers have "tire thumpers" next to their seat. But, DO they carry guns? Quite a few, including myself, do(did) carry a small pistol. If I am tired and take a nap in a rest area or interstate entrance ramp and the choice is between me or him, you know who it will be. A parked semi can be completly immobilized by simply disconnecting the red air hose to the trailer, a task that takes only a second to do. Then the driver is woke up and robbed because he can't even drive away because the disconnected red air line is what releases his trailer brakes. I have had my truck "searched" many times before during an inspection and the dot cops are usually pretty cool about their "searches". If someone acts suspicious (drugs?) they will be all over in their truck to find them. If a driver acts normal the dot guy will sit in the driver seat and only look at stuff within reach of the driver's seat. If nothing suspicious is found (or smelled) then the cop rarely would even consider searching the sleeper, because it is considered "home". Where did I usually hide my gun? I had a basket in the sleeper on the floor for my dirty clothes. I would always keep some nasty looking underwear right on top of the pile and hide my gun down in the clothes. Who in the world would ever even think about touching a nasty truck driver's underwear? It was the perfect hiding spot.

18. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Then, of course, there are people like me who make it all more confusing. A couple of years ago the company that I work for put us on a plan that pays for the depreciation on our personal cars as long as they are less than five years old and cost more than $17,000 when new. What is the cheapest thing that qualifies? A used patrol car.

I drive a 2000 Impala 9C1 with the spot light and all when I am on the highway. Anyone can buy one at auction. I paid $3500 for it and it had 52,000 miles, a new set of goodyears and a complete service history. Great highway car, everyone slows down and moves over. If I bought a set of flashers off of eBay, I could easily pull people over. It is just a surlpus local unit.

I would never put flashers on it (nor do I sped in it) because I am sure that there would be a quick beating and impersonation citation. I just bought it because it was cheap and I make enough on it every month in mileage to pay for it and my Burb. But remember - anyone can buy one.

19. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I bought my Ford ambulance at a county surplus sale. They took the lightbar off the top and the 2 way radio out of it. All the built in strobes and twin sirens and PA system are still operational. I don't speed in it and I do not turn any of the emergency equip. on when driving. But I do wonder, would any LEO pull me over for speeding?