Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

holy crap.

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by colbystephens, Jul 24, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

ok, so i'm stoked about my 6.2 b/c i'm swapping in a 465 this week. got to drive one with that set up last weekend (tRustyk5's set up) and it blew me away how much power you can feel. really gives a nice seat-o-the-pants feel. i always see rene posting about how proper gearing will really liven up a 6.2, and damn is he ever right. you all need manuals and good deep gears. period. :D that's all.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

just wait!..

Wait till he gets his NV5400 and doubler installed!--I bet it will feel twice as strong with that setup in it!...:D

But yea,GM didn't gear the diesels with power in mind--they were looking to squeeze every last MPG out of them,and overgeared them..the TH400 and 700R4 didn't help much either,as far as getting all the power to the wheels..:crazy:

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

no niether are exaclty mileage/ power friendly, they tend to eat it up quick... It nice that the manuals have minimal loos of pwer due to drag:D

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

:D :D :D

Kind of sad seeing it sitting in my carport without a tranny, T-case, drivelines etc etc...and knowing I won't get time to swap the 5 speed and 203/205 in until September sometime. :doah:

Rene

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

oops..

TYPO!!:doah: :blush: ..Shows how much I know about later trannys..I'm lucky I can spell SM465 correctly!..so what is it really?--a NV4500? NV5600?? :confused:

I'm holding out for a 13 speed with a road ranger myself!...no need for a "doubler" then!..:wink1: ..all I have to do is figure out how to bolt one up ,and how to hold the truck up after its in..I bet those weigh almost as much as the rest of the drivetrain,including the motor..:eek1:

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It's an NV4500...very similar to the SM465 as far as gear spacing except it has a .73:1 overdrive. It's as strong as the SM465 too.

NV5600 and the ZF 6 S650 are both 6 speed manuals, but they are also both real brutes as far as size and weight goes. That and they're pretty hard to find 'used' pretty much made my decision for me.

Rene