Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Holy Cross Hell

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by Cricket, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

That was a very long day. Just got back in at 12. Don & Scott are still on the way back to Ault.

Where's the morphine when you need it. :doah: Hopefully Scott will get the video up towards wednesday or thursday. I imagine Alex will have pics up in a day or two.

Good seeing you all again. :thumb:

2. fred2mihi

fred2mihi 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Is everyone OK????????? Whose truck broke?????? Were there a lot of people trying to run the trail????????? How much snow and rain??????????

fred2mihi

3. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

What happend??? This does not sound good:confused:

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

It was just a very long drive, especially for Scott and Don. A short summary:

1. Chris shelled his rear driveshaft at French Creek.
    2. Don's rims wouldn't hold the bead.
    3. Scott's rear driveshaft was puking ATF.
    4. Had a hairy experience trying to turn Scott around towards the top.
    5. Didn't leave until about 7pm.

The wheeling was fun, the drive it what made it arduous. After French creek it was Scott and Nate. Chris, his friend and Don all piled in Scott's K5. Alex and myself rode the flatbed of Nate's truggy. When we got to the dead end at the top we all walked back to the lake where Nate and his Dad Don did a little fishing.

The rest of the guys can fill in the other details.

5. 5280k5

5280k5 1/2 ton status

Glad to hear everybody made it back ok, sounds like a hell of a day!
    P.S. fixing my plumbing situation was not more fun than wheeling:mad:

6. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

:eek1: I was starting to wonder if something hadn't gone horribly wrong when none of you had logged on by the time I went to bed last night.

Must....see.....pics....:D

7. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Man, driving home in front wheel drive with a detroit was quite the experience. The first plan was to run with only one hub engaged (to allow the truck to corner easier) but that didn't work because if you touched the gas the truck would try to steer into the ditch :eek1:! So we decided that locking both hubs would work better. Picture the worst torque steer you could ever imagine...

Then multiply that x 10 :doah:

I had to get on or off the gas rediculously slow or the front end would try to rip the steering wheel out of my hands! The trip was slow (~50 mph) and taxing but we made it back without incident.

Wheeling with you guys was a bunch of fun and I look forward to going again. At least I broke near the end. I still didn't get to make the last obstacle to looks like I will have to go back next year :waytogo:

8. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Our forking Internet service is jacked up today, so I can't hardly get anything uploaded. Hopefully later this evening or tomorrow I get a good post with a few video links.

9. mrk5

some video

James just picked a post title to attract attention. I like it, good title James!

That's a whole other trail above French Creek. Some off-camber spots made for some a$$ chompin' seat cover for me. Matter of fact, as humbling as it is to admit, I had to talk Chris into driving the General back over one particular obstacle. :doah:

I think everybody went home with some sort of driveshaft marks, bends, or breaks.

Like James said it was a long day. Everything took about 2 hours longer than I thought it would.

Don and I left Ault at about 5AM. We picked up James at about 6:15. Then we picked up Alex at about 7:00. We arrived in the Camp Hale area at about 9:15. Like an idiot, I didn't bring a map or directions. All I could remember from the previous year is that it was on a road to a campground. I finally called Dad and he told me where it was. Couldn't believe I had cell reception up there. I think we made the trailhead at about 10AM and we started climbing about half an hour later, 1.5 hours later than I'd planned.

At the trailhead were 38377K5 (Chris) and his buddy, ivie29 (Nate) and his dad, MrK5 (Scott) w/jiminycricket (James) and WRENCH-HEAD (Alex) and my brother-in-law Don.

The trail leading up to French Creek was pretty uneventful. Don got to put his K5 to the test. He's running 33s, 4" lift, and rear locker. There were a couple of obstacles he wasn't sure he could do, and then he scaled them pretty effortlessly. Thanks for waiting an hour Nate & Chris.

We stopped at the first little water crossing because Don's beads were burping air over every bump. Took a little time to air them back up some. At that point we passed the only other vehicles on the trail, one group of about 5 coming down after camping for the night and one Rubicon heading up.

We proceeded on to French Creek. At that point we discover the Rubi had bent his tie rod during the crossing. So we took some time to go over our rigs. We noticed Chris had a loose u-joint strap. I was having issues with my tcase popping out on flex situations.

When I crawled under to adjust the linkage I found the tcase leaking at the slip yoke. At first I thought it was the seal, but then James realized it was coming from the back of the yoke. There was a pinhole leak in the end of the yoke letting fluid seep out. I had just put that damn shaft in because it was still balanced. :mad:

Nate made it across French Creek managing to add a little more bend to his rear driveshaft. Nate conquered all the obstacles on the trail, for that matter.

Chris was up next. He attempted a different line than Nate. After several attempts we finally had the front tires in the right spot, but when he started to climb up the rears slipped over into a hole and blammo, there went the driveshaft. I could tell Chris was pretty bummed, he was looking forward to some of the other obstacles up higher on the trail. I thought it was pretty cool that he stuck around and rode the rest of the way up with us. And then later helped a brother out. :wink1:

Driveshaft damage: http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/MrK5/Videos/?action=view&current=IMG_0023.flv

Next it was my turn to cross and I was pretty happy with how it went. I think I even managed to stay off the driveshaft. I took a line way over to the left, different from Nate’s and Chris’s lines. It took a couple of attempts and adjustments, but I was happy to finally make it across the creek with a functioning vehicle, unlike last year.

Don decided that he had tested his truck enough for the day. He still needed to drive it home in one piece. A wise decision I think.

Nate and I proceeded up the trail with everyone riding along. There were a couple of good challenges leading up to the infamous Cleveland Rock. One in particular that I DID NOT like very much. I thought for sure I was going over. After rolling off the road this winter, I’ve become much more skittish about that off-camber stuff.

Video of the scary stuff: http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/MrK5/Videos/?action=view&current=IMG_0033.flv

Again Nate made an obstacle look simple, he clawed up Cleveland Rock with only one back up. I made one attempt at the right side of Cleveland Rock, but didn’t quite get it. I was close. After going over that tipsy obstacle, I’d had enough for the day and parked it there.

Video of Nate on Cleveland Rock: http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/MrK5/Videos/?action=view&current=IMG_0035.flv

Chris and his buddy hiked on up the end of the trail and the rest of climbed onto Nate’s truck. The lake is very beautiful. Nate and his dad fished a little. Nate caught one on the first cast. His dad ended up catching a couple before we hiked back down to the truck.

Video of the scenery: http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/MrK5/Videos/?action=view&current=IMG_0041.flv
    Fishing: http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/MrK5/Videos/?action=view&current=IMG_0042.flv

I think the second scariest moment for me was trying to turn around at the bottom of Cleveland Rock. I think it was even scarier for James. I almost went off the side of the mountain again. It took several guys standing on the passenger side to help save me. The rear tires were sitting on the edge, which was a big pile of rocks on the side of the hill. If one rock had given way, I would have been down the mountain. I did spit out one big rock that hit a log and the log about took James out and swung up and almost got me on the head sitting in the truck.

Needless to say, that also contributed to why I had to talk Chris into driving back over that off-camber spot I mentioned earlier. Of course he made it look simple. Me thinks Chris has a few more difficult trails under his belt than I do. :crazy: Also probably a little more cajones at that point. Hey, I’ve got a baby on the way after all! :whistle:

Watching him go over that spot, I can’t believe how much sidewall flex my tires have. That probably doesn’t help with the tipsy feeling on the off-camber stuff. One blown bead and he’d have gone over. :yikes:

The rest of the way down was uneventful with one other iffy off-camber spot. Don in the passenger seat saying, “You could turn your tires downhill now!” and Chris in the rear seat echoing “Yeah, that’d probably be a good idea!”

Don did have to stop and air up his tires again before he could make it off the trail. Chris managed to limp home on the front driveshaft. And Nate got to load his on the trailer and cruise home in luxury.

After all that I’m still proud when I can drive my truck home after a trail like that.

Thanks to James and Alex for the company during the drive and helping on the gas. Also thanks to James for taking all the video footage with my camera. This time he did a very good job!

10. B_to_C

:haha: I can just imagine what Scott was thinking as people are yelling "you can point your tires downhill now!" ....."That's the OPPOSITE way i want to be going right now! :eek1:"

And yea James did a better job...really got me into the four wheeling mood when I can hear James' primitive grunting...most notably when Nate reached the top of Cleveland :haha:

Hmmm....wonder if a 130" wheelbase would have helped on any of those obstacles :whistle:

11. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

They don't call me Mr. Giggles for nothing. :D

I'm just glad Scott didn't post the few times I walked off the edge of something. I tipped the camera on end for a few scenic shots but I just realized after watching the footage that it will show sideways on the screen. :doah:

Ah well, at least there was actual footage instead of just panting. That stinking camera microphone picks up eveything. :doah: I enjoyed filming though.

Be good to see some of the rest when your computer at work is up and running. Thanks to Scott for putting up with me on the way back. I "extended our trip by 30 minutes by missing a turn. :rolleyes:

I think I probably owe you a little more gas money. :thinking:

12. B_to_C

Hmmmm I like this idea of splitting gas costs :thinking:

Sorry Scott, James lives closer to me so I have dibs on him for the next trip! :deal:

13. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Tell you what, it's Scott's well thought out solution to the cost of fuel. If you have an open seat and don't mind a little company that is willing to share the expense. One of us should have rode with Don though, he had to pay full price and there wasn't anyone to keep him awake.

14. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Thanks again Scott for the story and video's on the trip.
    Even though it might have been a long nite, it looks like you guys had a good time.
    I wish I could have been their. Don't forget to wash your seat covers after you get them out. I hate the feeling of going over myself but I don't remember ever feeling that way on that trail??
    Can you imagine getting caught in a snow storm up there? Not fun.
    I'm glad you all made it out OK with only minor damage. Maybe next time.
    Looks like I have some help with work again so if the weather holds, I might be able to still make a couple trips this year! I'm not on call 24/7 for the 1st time in 10 months. Keep up the great work with the photo's! Good job James.

15. mrk5

Nicole and I were wondering why you kept doing that. :rolleyes:

Hey I offered to half gas with on a BV Carnage trip, but you said you were too broke to even do that! :tongue1: I'd still like to do that next year. I'm sure you'll be up for Carnage BV & Independence. :deal:

With the current condition of your truck, I think you'd have to pay people to ride with you. :haha:

I was thinking the same thing about snow. I can't imagine getting out of that upper area with snow on the ground.

I really think that a lot of my fear on the off-camber comes from the incident this winter when I did go over. Like the wife and I were talking, I just need more time in the seat getting used to the feel of my truck. I'm still new to this more difficult stuff. Also more time to pass from the last flop. I'd really like to get a roll cage in there, I'd feel much better. Plus in circumstances like Holy Cross if I get really nervous instead of getting someone else to drive I can tie off the cage to a tree or something.

16. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Hey.... Pretty soon we could make a club fo people who've broken their rear driveshafts!

Because as we all know, only REAL MEN break their rear driveshafts.... :D

17. mrk5

I had one ready, but I realized I've been making the videos larger than I need to. Photobucket downsizes them to a smaller window anyways. Now I can make the videos longer. :D Photobucket has a 10minute limit...:thinking:

18. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

So theoretically I could film my sexy self for 10 minutes and land a Hollywood contract. :thinking:

PS: Scott needs a roooolbar.

19. mrk5

You could film yourself for 10-minutes at least. Beyond that, I can't say.

20. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

so scott when you ganna come down we ran the snake and there is alot spots that will break you in idrove out of every off camber in 2wd but that uneasy felling will probly never go away but i get a rush off it but thats me