Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Holy Cross trip report (beware: lots 'o pics)

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by mrk5, Aug 17, 2005.

1. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

About 4 years ago I came across this trail called Holy Cross. At that time the blazer had 2" add-a-leafs and old 33s. We went up the trail about 100ft and decided that we'd better turn around. Ever since then it has been a goal of mine to go back and kick its ass.

Too bad it didn't happen this time. :mad: :haha:

We spent most of the weekend doing this:
    [​IMG]
    fwdjunky had siezed bearing that smoked out on the road to the trail. He and burblover fixed that and then the above picture was on the trail when the front axle wasn't engaging.

[​IMG]
    B_to_C had a broken u-joint strap that we had to fix on the trail with what was left of the strap and some washers.

[​IMG]
    Then I had my power steering pump completely fail. Hydroboost = no brake or steering assist. Had to come all the way back down the trail strapped to B_to_C, pushing the brake pedal with 2 feet, and switching from nuetral to drive depending on the slope. I'll let B_to_C tell the story of how I almost rolled him over. Damn pump was less than a year old.

Trail pics:
    [​IMG]
    MrK5

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    B_to_C with fred2mihi riding shotgun

[​IMG]
    moneypit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    At least I made it past the infamous French Creek without assist, well I did have some good spotting and rock stacking anyways. Of course it was at this point the power steering pump failed. So I only made it about another 100ft up the trail.

I don't have any pics coming down because my wife and fwdjunky headed back to camp so she could find me a pump.

Of course moneypit made the trail look easy, much thanks to him for coming along and helping us "less built" guys.

Also a personal thanks to fwdjunky, ktedesco, B_to_C, and fred2mihi for hanging out with me at the campground while my wife searched for a new pump. And then for sticking around until 9PM helping me put it in.

Few additional pics here: Holy Cross pics

Last edited: Aug 17, 2005
  2. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

looks like a great trail. Great pics too. They're the sort of things I can only dream of over here... one day maybe.
    Luck you had a good bunch of friends along with you. Better luck next time!

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Crap, add a DANGER 56K header to this! Nice pics, wish I could make it....
    As the burb sits this winter, it's gonna get a Detroit in the back and SYE so it'll be set for next year.

4. mrk5

Were your ears burning Monday? We were talking about you. :D Just commenting on the fact that we hadn't met you yet. You'll have to try and make it to one of runs. I think we'll try an easier one in September.

5. 89GMCSuburban

Dude, start saving now and fly out here next year, I've got 8 seats in mine, be happy to bring you along :D

6. 89GMCSuburban

Lets do a meet, I'll buy a round for everybody...just name the spot!

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

That is a gorgeous looking trail.....

Man, that is MY kind of wheeling.....just take in the scenery, drive over some rocks....take in some more scenery....cross a little creekbed..... eat some Grey Poupon... (no wait, I mean catch a fish with my bare hands and eat it raw) :D

Seriously, looks like a great trip....and it looks like you still have a trail to conquer!!! Nothing like still having goals to reach for.

8. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

lol sounds like one of our outings, K10A'sBROinSLO and i are always fixin my truck.

looks awsome though and ill have to make it out there for some exporin ;)

9. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Dammit Scott! I'm getting sick of these hot dusty-ass trails over here, I need to go on a high-country run with you guys and get in some trees and water for a change. Wish I could find some decent trails on Grand Mesa.

Jesus with scenery like that I might even get the wife in the K5 for the second time. :rolleyes:

Great pics by the way, looks like a great trail.

10. mrk5

I just pictured that scene in Lord of the Rings with the close up of Gollem biting into a raw fish! Actually if I could have made to the top there's a nice lake, my wife would have loved to fish it. Instead of walking back to camp.

The road leading to the trail head was sure dusty. We did have great weather that day.

I think fwdjunky got some good scenery shots.

11. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

NICE!!! I like that trail. , Did you guys meet the owner of the land? I met him Last year he is pretty cool. If you ask nice he will let you have plenty of firewood of of his land :D

12. denver75k5

Oh ya, BTW Toby, Nice looking rig!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. mrk5

Is he the one with the signs that say something like "No Trespassing If you steal the trees you will be shot" and "Wanted Good Shooting Marksman" or something that effect?

14. fred2mihi

fred2mihi 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ridin' Shotgun again

To all you guys wishing you were along, I nearly didn't go. Gets tiresome always having to ride and not trying my skills :mad:. But even ridin' shotgun I was there :wink1: :D . This is a pretty darn good bunch of guys to go wheelin' with, no ones rig is any better than the others and they all work well together! Think maybe it has something to do with them all being "VETERANS" you darn betcha it does. No egos there! If only firefighter184 and JiminyCricket were along the group would have been complete. Nick is well on his way to having a very nice crawler, I would ride with him any day, preferably with all 4 wheels a lot closer to the ground, Thanks buddy! Anyone looking for someone to run with this is your group. Scott always makes me proud of him. Although this was a fun trail I personaly like Old Chinamans Gulch the most, but then each trails is unique unto it's self. THANKS TO YOU ALL!!

fred2mihi

15. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Thanks for posting up the shots Scott. I had a great time. Always fun camping in the beautiful Colorado outdoors :saweet: I just wish that it didn't take the 550 or so miles and 25 hrs from the time Rich & I left Co Springs to the time we got to the trail. To anybody that doesn't know the story, Rich seized up his right front spindle & bearings about 2/3rds of the way to our destinations. That was about 2 hrs & 20 minutes into the trip. Since there were no parts available in the area (spindle, bearings, spindle nuts, etc) we decided to head back to my place to rob an axle that I had for parts. We then left the next AM to drive back & rebuild his axle. Still worth it.

CO GUYS: I think the next trip should be 17-18 Sep in BV. Thinking of camping at Hancock & running Grizzley & Iron Chest. We can probably run them both Sat & maybe even run Tin Cup on Sunday. What's everyone think?

16. denver75k5

That would be him!! :D

17. 89GMCSuburban

Can an open front and rear Burb make it? :confused: I'll have to see what my work schedule changes to, since that's right around the time that'll happen...

Last edited: Aug 18, 2005
  18. Scott39

Scott39 1/2 ton status

Maybe I will wait to tare down my blazer and make this trip.

19. mrk5

Hey Mark that sounds like a great plan. I'll have my new rear springs in by then. Plus it will be a good test run before Blazer Bash.

20. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Tin Cup can be made with a fairly stock 4x4. I've never ran Iron Chest, but have heard that it is 7-8, similar to Holy Cross. Grizzley I have done twice in a Burb. The big catch is I had a locked rear which is a biggie. Also did it in 36" tires. The hardest obstical is crossing the stream at the beginning. Very little water, but the other side goes up like 3' and there are small rocks to spin on. Also, coming off this drop off, I smashed my rear bumber almost in to my rear quarter panel. But I say try it anyway.

PS - I REALLY hoping I'll be ready by this trip.