Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Holy Crow!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Jan 4, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

So it's the middle of winter in Portland, Oregon, but my wife and I wake up to a nice day with no rain. Then, what does she say to me? She asks if we can go work on my truck! :laugh: How great is that? What can beat the combination of a beautiful woman and a big ugly piece of metal which hasn't been out of the shop in almost a year? I suppose the only thing that might beat that would be driving that hunk of metal thru the desert with the same company - but i don't have that option yet, esp. in Oregon.

On top of that, I got to see my truck with tires on it today - the first time since i put on the lift - it's amazing how much 4" of lift changes the look of a rig.

Ok. So I was just excited and thought someone might care. :rolleyes:

colbystephens.
    www.web.pdx.edu/~colbys

2. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

Wish my lady would wrench with me. I'll be lucky if she doesn't leave me for a import tuner guy...

3. jeeptuff

jeeptuff 1/2 ton status

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!! My little woman loves to get her hands dirty working on the K5.

4. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

You need to let us see some pics of your blazer on tires :D

5. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

U are a lucky man!! My wife has never even RIDEN in my truck, let alone worked on it with me.

6. colbystephens

i would - but all i've got is a disposable camera. i'll be picking up a digital soon tho. we had borrowed the wheels to get it out of the shop to continue sanding paint off of it. i'll be rattle canning it matte black - it was the white/red/white color scheme. however, the wheels i had under it yesterday were borrowed off my grandfather's truck, and won't be back on my vehicle - most likely. i'm hoping to pick up some wheels/tires this month tho. it's time for me to start researching tire threads. :) i know i'll be running 35's - but don't know much about tires yet. essentially, i'll be getting something good for a daily driver, but aggresive enough to handle moderate to tough trails. anyway, that's kind of the word on that.

older pictures and a video can be seen at www.web.pdx.edu/~colbys. i still need to upload about 8 photos or so to one page, which as a bunch of spaces w/ captions and no pics. :( i'll do that next week. anyway - thanks for the interest. :D

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

my girl actually asked for a ride in the K20, despite it being covered with salt and snow, and missing the muffler on the passenger side due to a combination of said salt and snow, and the previous night's road conditions. wonder what she's gonna do when i start restoring it... :thinking:

8. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

My wifey wants to help me, bt with her schedule, she seldom does. She loves to wheel though:saweet::saweet:

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

This thread is worthless w/o pics......

:D

10. colbystephens

sorry - not a paying member and can't post up. ;)

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

12. colbystephens

e-mail sent. ;) as i said in my email to you, the first is of her working on the motor, but it's not such a great photo. that pic was taken a number of months ago, however. so i attatched a second photo which is good of her - but the only photos on my computer which are good of people are those from our wedding - thus it's a rather formal pic. :) anyway - thanks for the favor? or maybe you all should thank me for letting you see my gorgeous wife. :D

if you want to see pics of my build on my k5, the rhino, check out www.web.pdx.edu/~colbys . I still need to update it and add some photos, thus there's some empty space on the second journal page. anyway, check it out.

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

here are the pics...

:haha:

very lucky man indeed. :waytogo:

0208two.jpg

clairedrivershead.jpg

14. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My wife hardly hands me beer anymore. She was helping me change tires on my yota feb 2004 and felt a pain in her wrist. Well it turned out to be her cartialage got torn, so off to surgery. Wouldnt you know it, it didnt work!! So another surgery ensued, one that had to shorten one of her forearm bones (I was deployed when this happened thankfully) it has been nearly two years since she touched a wrench. But I guess she has her reasons.:rolleyes:

15. PDXCHVY

PDXCHVY Registered Member

What part of Portland are you in??

Funny thing is now that I got rid of my Bronco for a K20, my wife doesn't care if I work on my my truck. It's still hard to get her to come out and help but she will enventually:D .

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Portland Oregon!!!

Wish I was in Portland Oregon this weekend..Rhonda Vincent is playing 2 concerts saturday and sunday there!..then she's going to ALASKA to perform!!..(wish it was Portland MAINE she was going to be in tomorrow instead..:( )..You should take your beautiful wife to a nice concert, with Rhonda and "The Rage"..:wink1: --even if you don't like bluegrass or country,I think you'd like Rhonda!..

You are a very lucky guy, to not only have a wife who will work on your truck with you,but is a very nice looking lady too!:eek1: :bow: ...most married guys have quite a conflict when it comes to working on vehicles..(you love that truck more than you love me,etc..:rolleyes: )..glad to see at least one woman isn't like that!..:crazy:

17. colbystephens

man, that sucks. i can definitely understand her not wanting to over exert herself again tho - i've never heard of anything like that, particularly from something most of us would view as such a simple task. man, what a bummer.

I live on campus at Portland State. Thus I have my truck stationed in Salem in my grandfather's shop. Kinda sux - but at least i've got a place to work. :) My goal is to have the truck on the road by the end of february. The project, like everyone else's here, will never be done, but at least it will be driveable. :rolleyes:

diesel4me - i gotta say i'm not much of a country fan, but i did see a bluegrass/rock band not too long ago here from Mississippi that was freakin amazing. the guys made some of their own guitars out of a cigar box and a broom stick, added electrics and that thing was sweet. they also hooked up some electrics to a washboard and ran it thru a wah (sp) peddle which sounded like a crazy mix between some kind of drums and an electric guitar.

Anyway, thanks for all the nice comments about the wife. I am a lucky man - God really blesses me for sure. I agree - my wife is a babe. :D :D

18. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

A good street and offroad tire in a decent price range would be a BFG mud terrain. Good on wear and not noisy.

19. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

I forgot to post a picture of my babe working on the rig with me. This was a few years ago and it is my beautiful daughter. My wife does not enjoy wrenchin with me, only my kids.

IM000082.jpg

IM000085.jpg

IM000086.jpg

20. colbystephens

that's what i'm thinking to pick up actually. i was looking at the website yesterday, and downloaded the pdf - it looks like they don't offer one for a 16" wheel though, which is what I was looking at b/c i don't want to shave my d44 (it's off a 3/4 ton). So it looks like i'll have to go 17" which is ok, i suppose. i haven't priced them yet, but i'm thinking to pick them up thru les schwab b/c i'll get unlimited free tire rotations with the purchase. i figure i'll go in once a week and have em rotated. :D it sure would suck to have to lift the spare out once a week. :) i know it's overkill, but it's free! can someone tell me roughly what i can expect to pay for those tires?