Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Holy gas tank!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Wally81k5, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

I finnaly bit the bullet and jammed my gas tank full, (i have only had my truck for a bit)... it took 73 canadian paso's.. it was 110 litres. what size tanks do jimmys have mines an 87, was i on fumes? (gauge doesn't work)..
    any body else got a tbi 305? what kind of milage do you get?

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Its a 31 gallon tank /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

You musta been on fumes dude! The tank is 118 liters hehe. 73.00 huh... ouch, thats why I never fill mine!

Later
    Mike

4. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

wow, cutting it close i guess. wanted to fill it for the cold weather, and wanted to see if my gauge was toasted, it went up to about a quater tank past full so i think it does work just needs to be rotated about 30 degrees!

5. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Sorry, I dont mean to highjack but is there a way to just rotate the little gas gage needle back to where it ought to be??

6. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, if the only place its out is at the full mark, its normal. I have never seen a vehicle that has the needle right on the full mark when shes jammed full. My guage reads about 1/4" beyond full when its right to the top. I dont know if you can calibrate them... maybe have to buy a new one.

Mike

7. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

They all do that. When mine gets to 3/4 tank on the gauge it is basically half a tank by the distance you can travel. A lot of them will also run out when they are reading 1/8 tank. I think there problem is they use the same sending unit as for the pickups that only hold 18 gallons so our tanks are a lot deeper.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Just be glad you don't have a Suburban. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif My '90 has a 40 gallon tank and my '94 has a 42 gallon tank. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif It's truly painful to fill those up! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

The gauge only cares about a range of resistance which is what it displays. Assuming the gauge is not defective (they rarely are), it shouldn't matter what tank is in there. The sending unit is the key. It is expected to produce a specific resistance when “empty” and a specific resistance when “full” You can take the sender out and measure where these points occur. Then bend/modify the swing arm so that the sender is at these positions at the appropriate time. Voila, the gauge works right and reads correctly. Most problem occur due to changes caused by float saturation, sender corrosion/wear, and people bending the swing arm while installing the tanks (even before installation at the factory or still in the box) or servicing the fuel pump. I’ve seen people who actually “calibrate” these things and the difference is amazing…