Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Holy $hit.....Too much HP

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NITRO, Apr 4, 2003.

1. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i wasnt aware of the ungodly HP my 454 could make till tonite. ive never had the throttle past 1/8 open and tonite i got the secondaries open(edelbrock 1406) gave me a real big scare. also sucked down a few gallons for the 5 seconds they were open /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif but....i hadda do it....a pos dodge thought he could beat me /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif god bless chevy /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

NITRO

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Is'nt a Big Block Great? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

All hail the BBC.

Drop a nice 850 on there and see how much it wakes up at WOT. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I LOVE the feeling of being thrown back into the seat you only get from a BIG BLOCK !!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

im scared with a 600cfm...an 800 would b insane. plus...im still gettin crappy gas milage... but on the bright side i whooped that guys ass

NITRO

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

600 cfm is too small for a 454 in my opinion. I'd say 850 cfm would be closer to what it needs.

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    600 cfm is too small for a 454 in my opinion. I'd say 850 cfm would be closer to what it needs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that! BBC's need lots of air to breathe, so getting a larger cfm-carbed would be the hot ticket here. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Ha! You should have seen Shawn lift the front tires off the ground when he took off in the Potent Rodent Wednesday night! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif 496 cubic inches of port fuel injected whoopa$$. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

And yes, a 600 CFM carb is way too small for a 454. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

9. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

well...i bought the 600cfm for the 350....well that engine went and i got this 454 and couldnt just let my carb sit there and b trash. it runs great...enough for what im needing at the moment. but, my gas milage still sux rhino cock with it. so id hate to see what an 800cfm would do to gas milage

NITRO

10. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

Yeah the milage might suck, but ain't it fun watching the tach race the gas gauge!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    well...i bought the 600cfm for the 350....well that engine went and i got this 454 and couldnt just let my carb sit there and b trash. it runs great...enough for what im needing at the moment. but, my gas milage still sux rhino cock with it. so id hate to see what an 800cfm would do to gas milage

NITRO

[/ QUOTE ] Shitty gas milage ??? Welcome to the reality of the BIG BLOCK. But with that kind of raw torque, do you really care about gas milage ???

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

If the gas mileage is too bad for ya I will trade my 355 with ya /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Wish I could find a nice BBC to build just haven't located one. I would love to call my truck a BBB, Big Block Blazer /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

13. jhrody

jhrody 1/2 ton status

I'm afraid of opening up my BBC too much.....I dread the sound of TH350 parts disintigrating. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I woudl be if I were you too, got to love an SM465 /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

15. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Having the wrong carb can contribute to lousy mileage. I had a '79 4WD Dodge van with a 360 several years ago. It got a whopping 6 MPG with the stock 2 barrel carb. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I swapped on a 600 CFM Holley 4 barrel and mileage jumped up to 11.5 MPG. That mod paid for itself pretty quickly! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

The 1406 is a great carb.
    It will run just fine on the BB
    You could find an old Quadrajet with small primaries and BIG secondaries which will give you good mileage until you stomp on it, then you can watch it suck leaves and small animals off the street and that bitchin ROAR /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm afraid of opening up my BBC too much.....I dread the sound of TH350 parts disintigrating

[/ QUOTE ]

It's good that you are aware of that..I had a TH350 behind my SB for alooong time. Never had a problem. 3 weeks after I swapped the big block in, it puked it guts out..That sucked and I didn't want it to happen again...So I swapped in a TH400..That one lasted about 2 weeks before I broke the case.. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Sooo, in went the SM465 and I haven't had a problem since...Lovin my BBC and SM465. Only way to fly. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Lovin my BBC and SM465. Only way to fly. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Can't wait to put the BBC in my K5 someday and be right htere with ya /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

19. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Harry, Shawn's truck lifted both front tires at the same time off the ground? I wouldn't believe it on any other fullsize K5 with 38's, but with his I can. If he did lift both that is a neat trick I will have to see some time. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

if he can lift just one tire, say driver side front that woudl be more interesting to see in my opinion. Be like one of those big rig tractor pullers where the driver side front never touches the ground because the torque twists the frame.