Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Holy Moly!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jimmyjack, Dec 4, 2001.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I went to a few junk yards today for shits and giggles to ask about rearends. A 14 ff is going for $750! I said WHAT? A 12 bolt for about $500 and a core 10 bolt was $300 at 3 places! I asked if the gold plating was 14 or 20 karat. Went to one place tho and he said a 14 ff was 250 but he couldnt guarantee the gear ratio. I told him no sweat! I'll see him after xmas. Some people are insane here.

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

2. not4show

not4show 1/2 ton status

$300 for a core 10 bolt! Now that's some funny stuff!

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

It's unreal! $750 for a rearend? what gears? I dunno Is it posi? limited slip? locked up? I dunno. Its 750 with a trade. Like a 10 bolt trade? No a 14 bolt trade. DUDE put down the crack pipe and take a breath of fresh air!!!

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

He must have meant 750 for a 14bolt rear end WITH a complete truck attached to it.[​IMG]

I got my 14 bolt for $95. No truck attached though.

<font color=blue>It's easier to teach a child than to fix an adult.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/geltyone>Webshots Pics.</a>

5. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Yea, I've asked around up here around phoenix and they want 800 for a 14 bolt ! [​IMG] Its insane !

<font color=green>[​IMG]1977 K5 GETTIN IT AWN[​IMG]</font color=green>
    BUILT NOT BOUGHT

6. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I was at Mark Turner offroad here in Fort Collins today and out of curiosity asked him (Mark Turner) what the local yards here and in Denver wanted for a 14B FF and he said that because of the rarity of a Dana 60 and the increase in the popularity of the 14B FF, most places want like $600-$800...That is insane...I'll never be able to convert the Bad Bow Tie to a one-ton if this trend continues

<font color=red>1987 Blazer K5, 4" Rancho Lift, 33" BFG AT, Dual Battery setup, AND MORE TO COME [​IMG]
    Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red>

7. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

how about a 78 350 not working turbo 400 np205 and 1 ton 14 and 3/4 ton dana 44 for 1100 comes with the rest of the long bed pick-up.

8. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Colorado Auto Salvage (in the phone book) has them for 250.-350.

Steve

Director of Global Expansion

9. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

There is a 3/4 ton 4x4 chevy in the thrifty nickel for $500.00 for the whole truck.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>

10. I went looking for replacement 10 bolts here (Oklahoma), and prices ranged from $350 to $750! Thats $750 for a 10 bolt with 3.08 gears! I finally found a 10 bolt w/ 3.08 gears for $150 that looked like it had been buried in a pasture for 2 years. The gearing was good, even though it is an open carrier. It took a whole day just to clean it up well enough to paint! You guys finding these things for next to nothing are lucky as H*&amp;L! 14 bolts are running $800+!

American by birth, Marine by the grace of God

11. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i got a 14bFF with new 4.10 gears installed for $350 and i am in the Bay Area! That guy must be crazy.

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

12. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I live in New York. a 14 bolt rear usually goes for 100.00. I have bought whole trucks with 8 lug axels for 400.00. but being in New York the bodies rust out and fall off long before the axels get used up!!

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

13. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I guess it's just time to play the LIAR game. Why should I pay 750 to YOU when I can drive to another state and pick it up at a 1/3 of the cost!? I have a "friend" in Colorado that can get me one for $300!

Jim

14. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    South texas they go for about 150 for a 14b ff. Plus, you can tell the guy at the register that it is from a 1/2 ton and get it even cheaper. (they dont know anything) We did that with a steering box once. Told them it was off a 1980 Caddilac Fleetwood. It was actually off a 78 4x4 blazer. The car boxes were going for about 30 bucks cheaper than the trucks. You can even get complete front ends for under 200. Oh, and nothing has rust on it around here either.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

15. 84silverK5

84silverK5 Registered Member

one guy gave me and a buddy an old chev 2wd pickup with working motor and trans TH400, and a 14ff rear for free, we just had to get it out of his yard, also we have gotten 2 4wd pickups one 75 long box other a 78short box, the Short boax had a 14ff and same with the 75. these junkyards are High. all you got to do is find someone with a few pickups rotting in their front yards and say "ill get that outa here for ya" [censored] they might even pay you....

16. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    I like the LIAR game. went to Desert Rat to Price match/beat for an Optima Yellow Top of $139.95
    at The Battery Factory on Oricle, and they called me a liar/bad mouth the battery factory balh balh....
    Told them to shuve it up there you know what.