Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Holy Price Gouging Batman!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Jan 26, 2006.

?

What should I do

1. Just put the edelbrock carb on the q jet manifold, and stash the ebrock intake away

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. Keep looking and find a better deal on a gasket and install the carb and intake

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. tell the girl friend to forget valentine's day and buy the rediculously priced gaskets

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
  1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Went looking for a felpro intake gasket today (the black printoseal style, not the blue permatorque). I'm wanting to use it with my old Edelbrock EPS intake on my 73 camaro engine. Called edelbrock and they said felpro #1256. O'riley's told me that was a mister gasket # and they could order it for $25. Another store in town looked up the number and said it was a felpro gasket they could order for $30. I don't remember the simple intake gaskets being that much when I put my edelbrock manifold on my other truck 2 years ago.. What am I missing. I'm almost to the point of putting the edelbrock carb on the q jet manifold and just stashing the aluminum intake away for another day.. I almost don't feel like fooling with swapping it out anyway... since I just put new antifreeze in anyway... Just wanted to vent about the price gouging. What would you do in a situation like this?
    thanks,
    James

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

for curiosity sake have them bring that one out and the stock intake gasket, pull them out of the box(if they let you, think you have to cut the tape wrap stuff to do it) and check them against each other. I wouldn't go back to O'riley's if they can't even figure out it is in fact an intake gasket. I've never paid $30 for an intake gasket set. Even stock gasket sets have larger port openings than the heads and intake so I can't see why you would need a specific certain one.

3. 78Suburban

well, this is a stock intake gasket I need I think.. I just don't want the blue one with the metal core... I'm fed up with these parts stores.. they remind me of the store on O Brother Where Arth Thou, "I can order it, it'll be 2 weeks" :haha: ............ for sanity's sake I believe I'm just gonna use the crappy q jet manifold for the time being.. I doubt that the extra power/ less weight would even be noticable anyway..
    thanks,
    James

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Lots of places online will ship it to you , problem solved :thumb:

5. wildmouse216

wildmouse216 1/2 ton status

If it is the stock cast iron intake you should swap it out because you will lose like 30 pounds man those things are heavy.

6. S. Burnham

S. Burnham Registered Member

i work at oreilly's in hattiesburg, ms. i will look up the part # for you and let you know the scoop on that perticular gasket. and id need be i can call the store you use and let them know what they need to order for you. don't hold anything against the parts store for not knowing certain things. when you only make $7 hour you are not going to get the cream of the crop in the work force. the only thing parts stores want now days is somebody to read a computer and get them out the door. i had a friend that worked at autzone and he was told point blank by a regional mgr to sell the wrong part if you don't have it in stock but order it right then so it will be there the next day when they come back to complain. he said that if you get there money it is harder for them to get there money back than to swap for the right part. do keep in mind that this was autzone not oreilly's. i don't get off of work until 9pm so it will be late before i can get back with your info.

7. 78Suburban

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=intake+gasket&x=0&y=0&searchinresults=false&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&N=115&target=egnsearch.asp

here's the magical $30 gaskets for 15 bucks... but summit has an 8 dollar handling fee.....maybe I can find it somewhere locally for a decent price..

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=intake+gasket&x=0&y=0&searchinresults=false&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&N=115&target=egnsearch.asp
    here's another gasket for only $8, but it says the water crossover is blocked.. what in the world is a water crossover?

thanks,
    James

8. eagle mark

eagle mark 1/2 ton status

9. S. Burnham

oreilly's has the gasket for 23.99 if you can get a comercial account ran on it it is about 17.00

10. 78Suburban

What's a commercial account? Wonder why its so high, I wonder if there is a cheaper part number thats in the printo seal style.
    thanks,
    James

11. S. Burnham

a comercial account is an account that is set up by someone who has a shop or business. the more they buy under the account the better the prices get. anyone can set up a comercial account and if your credit is good you can set a charge account that will bill you every month. you don't have to have a tax id or anything to be cash or charge. if you know someone that has an account get them to buy it for you. if it is big shop that does a couple of thousand a month they really get good discounts. but the reason for the price on the gasket is that that part#is out of the felpro high perf. catalog. they offer several differents gaskets in the performance line. go to oreilly's and tell the guy behind the counter to actually pull the book of the shelf and it is in the felpro performance cat. listed under chevy small block intake gaskets. it lists everyone by years they were made for.

12. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

i have always used the standard felpro intake gaskets and never any probs

13. 78Suburban

the black or blue kind? the edelbrock instructions just specifically said don't use the blue, so I'm parnoid...... u got a part number for the kind you use? I'm thinking the 1256 costs so much because of some kinda fancy sized ports I probably don't need.
    thanks,
    James

14. 78Suburban

did '73 camaro's come with some kinda "race ports"??? I'm thinking edelbrock gave me some kinda high performance part number that I probably don't need. Anybody got an alternate part number for a PRINTOSEAL "black color" style small block chevy that would work? I think it needs exhaust crossover ports... I just don't see why the '73 camaro would have some kinda odd ports..
    Thanks,
    James

15. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

iv put the felpro blue ones on both my 350's and have had no problem.

16. 78Suburban

maybe I'm too anal, but I'm gonna try to get some black printoseals since that's what edelbrock recommends. Wish I could find a part number that was cheaper. Maybe I'll find some Mistergaskets, like I had on my old 283. The gaskets for a '66 283 and '73 camaro 350 should be interchangable, Correct??
    thanks,
    James

17. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

yep blue felpros for me on every intake i have ever installed, and never an issue

18. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I've used the blue felpros on every engine rebuild also. Never had any problems to this day.

19. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

Buy from Summit! The $8 handling fee is basically thier shipping fee, and you will have it VERY fast. Oh, and the water crossover is where the water from the coolant chambers on the block flows thru the manifold to the thermostat housing, I believe.

20. 78Suburban

I ordered FPP-1256 and the carb baseplate gasket set EDL-3899. By the time the dirty dogs tacked on $8 handling and $2 for sales taxs (because they are building a store in Ga, even though it was shipped from Ohio, WTF!?!) The total was $30.... Since I'm getting 2 carb baseplate gaskets, I'm serously considering trying to mount my edelbrock on the old q jet manifold for the time being, since the mud bog is so soon. Then when I'm less rushed I can mount my edelbrock intake on, to squeeze evely last drop of performance and weight savings in. Does this sound like a decent plan? I kinda wanna see how the edelbrock does anyway before I swap on the whole package.. I can always mount my old manifold later.

It probably won't be noticable which I run for the time being, the edelbrock or q jet manifold, right?
    thanks,
    james