Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Holy Smokes guess what I just bought!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72Blazerod, Mar 27, 2002.

1. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

Well my wife told me to get the darn thing running right so she okayed me to spend a little dough. I just bought a 1990 Corvette TPI. It only has 50K miles and was owned my a mechanic. I get it delivered on Friday. Man, I can't wait! The Blazer is coming off the road for a few months now so I can remove the Chevy front clip, detail the engine compartment, install the new TPI, install the GMC front clip, weld in the rear seat pockets so that my 1979 Suburban rear seat fits in, clean and install either my '72 or '87 Blazer gas tank and fix my rear hatch! I have a lot of work to do and any comments or info is well appreciated!

Man is this cool!

Rod

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

If you are changing to a GMC front clip you have to change your user name to 72Jimmyrod /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. Dave_S

Dave_S Registered Member

Why in the name of all that is holy would you want to put a GMC front clip on a Blazer? For even thinking such a vile thought, I believe you should turn that TPI over to me immediately and beg the Blazer gods for forgiveness.

Dave

4. 72Blazerod

I am going with the GMC front clip because the old guy across the street had a 1971 GMC that I always wanted when I was growing up. I have a thing for that four headlight look. I have never been too enthused about the plastic egg-crate, the 69-70 grilles are cool but '71-'72 are too plastic for my likings. I know this will 'PO' some people but that's just my own feelings on the issue. As for giving up the TPI, you'll have to come up to Canada and tear it from my cold, dead fingers. LOL

You're right a name change might be in order (but I don't want to give up my 160 odd posts - I don't want to be a pavement pouder again!) How about this:

"The Artist formerly know as 72Blazerod"

Take it easy,

Rod

5. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

B-J Rod
    Having both a Jimmy and Blazer, I personally prefer the GMC, too. Each to his own... Tell me - what are you doing to your truck to allow installation fo the later model seat? I just bought a set of 2000s with integral shoulder harnesses for the Jimmy and will "one day soon" be getting these in..
    Thanks
    JB

6. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Jimmy's rule!!! J/K.

I put the TPI on my 87 and you will notice a huge difference in power and I gained 3 mpg over TBI(when I keeped my foot out of it). Just a thought is this the entire TPI motor or just the fuel injection ?? The corvette motor would not have the low end torque that I like but it's not my truck either.

Congrates
    Mike

7. 72Blazerod

I am getting the whole Corvette Engine. I hope to just swap her in. My truck is mainly a daily driver with the occassional camping trip in the back country, so I don't think I'll notice the lack of bottom end. Any way my old engine reads 5500 mile right now (I am sure that is 205,500 miles) and it is so sad an warn out that I am sure anything would be an improvement. My SM 465 will allow me to get my travel trailer rolling and that's what I really am concerned with. So I am going to be as happy as a pig in s#%t, if you know what I mean. I have never tried to do anything like this swap before so if you have any advice let me know!

Thanks,

Rod

8. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

I think you'll love that motor on the street!!! It's just that I use my truck to tow a boat and do a alot of 4 wheeling. Advice, I could write a novel. The best thing is to make list's of things to do and parts to get. You are putting it into a 72 so you need to decide the fueling system. Internal/External tank fuel pump? You do need to run a return line back to the tank. With the 72(no emmissions) and a manual transmittion wirring should be pretty easy. I think the vette motors have enough cam intake/exhaust overlap that chevy eliminated the egr valve. Did the vette motor come out of a car with a manual or a auto? If is a auto you might have to change the prom for one that is manual. Check out the web site http://www.thirdgen.org I found it very informative and posted many ?? Just pretend your putting the motor into an older camaro....I didn't get many responses to a 87 GMC.

Mike

9. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Don't worry about a lack of bottom end in any factory TPI engine. The cams that GM put in them were low duration/lift jobs and they're done by about 4500 RPM. The intakes were also tuned to run good to about 4500 RPM, so they're a pretty good match.