Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Holy smooth ride Batman!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MaxCrack, May 11, 2002.

1. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

As many of you may know, I put Dana 70's (front and rear) on quite a while ago, and I was very unhappy with the results. At least when it came to the steering. (Severe death rattle at 25-30 mph...UNDRIVABLE!!!). And, as many of you may know I have a Ford Dana 60 that I am STILL WAITING for the ring and pinion to be set up in. (Never tell a busy friend "when ever you get to it")

Well, I got sick of waiting and started doing everthing else. I put on my new tires (37" SSR's on 16x10 steel wheels) and this Thursday and Friday night I put on my ORD rear Shackle flip, which I have had for over a year while I tried to figure out how to pay for everything else I plan on doing.

The list is endless but the immediate things I have are: Ford Dana 60 front, custom doubler (still unordered), Vortec heads on the 350 (until I can afford to rebuild the 454) cross-oversteering to go with the Dana 60, and a York on board air set up...

Well, I finished the shackle flip just in time to for a friend I rarely see to show up. I offered him a ride around the block to demonstrate the death rattle...IT WASN'T THERE!!!! I got up to about 65 mph and NO UNCONTROLLABLE SHAKING!!! I was so happy I had to give everyone a ride around the block. (part of the block is on an expressway so 65 was not out of the ordinary).

I can not express how happy I am. All I have to do is put the Vortec heads on and pass smog and I am ready to roll. I also have a custom made steering arm for cross oversteering on the Dana 70 I think I will put on. (I also plan on recalling the Dana 60 ring and poinion job from my friend now that it is not mandatory for driving my truck. Shiznit! I may even wait until I have all the tools and do it myself).

Picks will be linked to this post shortly.

I'm so excited...and I just can't hide it...I'm about to lose control and I think I like it...

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

congrats /forums/images/icons/smile.gif now it is time to enjoy it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

That is sweet! So what suspension combo were you running in the rear b4 the flip? Blocks? I wonder why the flip eliminated your DW.... not that I would complain or anything.... I just wonder why?

Anyhow, CONGRATS! Now go have some fun with it! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

-Dan

4. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Actually I think the old tires were causing the problem.

I just had 4" springs in the back before. It looks sweet now. About 8" of lift in the back. The front is soon to follow. I have brand new springs for the front, and longer shackles. I can't wait.

5. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Glad to hear the DW is gone.That is a horrible feeling!!I had an old set off 38" swampers I tried to run but couldn't.When I got up 30-35MPH the thing would DW bad!!.Doesn't do it with new 36" swampers.

6. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

The flip will change the pinion angle a bunch, a that combined with new meats and voila' instant gratification and sh#t-eating grins everywhere...gotta love it.

7. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

yeah tires can be the last thing you'd expect to be causing horrible DW, when i bought my k5 it was horrible on the road, 33's that had never been balanced, and a driveshaft thatd bind up when i let off the gas.
    lowered the transfer case and balanced the tires and it rode like new.
    i spend a grand total of 20 bucks fixing it, and i talked the guy down 2 grand when i bought it because of the DW.
    acutally kinda glad it came with a DW...

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I have to agree with tires being a big piece of the pie in dw. I can't drive my truck with the bias 38's but with the radial 35" SSR's she drives like a caddy.