Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Holy wandering blazer batman! *help* why is it so different?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Topdown, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Ok... Here's the deal:

I had a set of 32x11.5x15 tires on my blazer but decided that I wanted 33's so I sold them. T-Roy had a set of used 33's for me to use until I can sell enough stuff to buy a set of 33's so I had them put on. Not the best tires, but they will do for a few weeks or whatever until I get the $$ together. ANYWAY... I drove my Blazer down the freeway today and though for sure I was going to die! Every rut, every street snake, everything had the blazer hopping around underneath me! What the **** happened? I cant imagine a 33x12.5 being THAT much different than a 32x11.5 on the same 15x10 wheel. The blazer wanders ALL over the place. on the 33's but didnt on the 32's

The 32" tires were a 3-ply sidewall and the 33's are a 6-ply sidewall... would that make that much difference?

Help... its almost undrivable like it is.

Thanks
    -Ryan

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Yup. Believe it. a 12.5 wide tire will catch every rut it the road it can and feel like the rig is going to jump lanes. The only 12.5 wide tire that didn't do that for me was BFG AT's. Is it as bad as mine was when you drove it home from TSF? Mine wanders BAD depending on the road. I'm used to it now. I need to readjust my steering box and it should fix most of it, but....most different brands of tires will have road manners all their own. Gimme a call and we can chat about it.

3. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

Want to know bad wander come on over and drive the Pumpkin on almost bald 36's now that is a wandering beast /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

There is a huge difference between 3 ply and 6 ply side wall. On our old 82 Burb we went from a 35" 3 ply (cheap brand) to a 33" Pro Comp 6 ply and it was night and day difference in how it drove. There is a stronger sidewall which in return gives it less flex and give and less road rut follow. Tire brands also make a huge difference and radial vs bias ply also play into it. Give it some time you will get use to it /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. T-ROY

T-ROY 1/2 ton status

I had the same issues on my old Blazer when I went from 32's to 33's and again when I went to 35's. All were the same brand of tire. Every time you change your tuck, you have to relearn it. It'll take a couple days. Why did you bother putting those things on your good wheels? I thought you were just going to run them for a bit? Hope you didn't pay to have them remounted.

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

When I went from 12.50s to the new BFG 33 10.50s it was like a whole new ride... I spent way too much time worrying about dieing with the 12.50s... wider tires = fawkin freaky.... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

nuttin got weird for me when I went from 31s to procomp MT 35x12.5s... me thinks there might be another problem here. When ya mounted 'em did they get balanced? maybe a balancing weight popped off? I dunno, just throwin ideas out there. My 39.5s shake a bit, but thats cause they aint round... and I dont think I used enough equal balancing stuff either. lol!! 33s shouldnt be that crazy...

j

7. mudslinger97116

mudslinger97116 1/2 ton status

maybe you need to put the wing back on the top /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif i had the same prob on my old truck ended up being my steering stabilizer or more of a lack of one

8. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

I think you may be right on here...

I measured my axle vs spring and it almost seems like the right (passenger) side is 1/2" farther back then the driver side. almost like my axle is sitting crooked under there. No idea how or why that would be but it sure as hell seems that way. That would account for part of my tire/steering issues.

T-Roy - yeah I am only going to run them for a little bit, but figured what the hell... I may have to run them until the beginning of next year /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif or until I find a good job so why not have them put on my good wheels. I only had to pay 10.00 per wheel/tire to have them mounted so no huge loss. I had to swap them out cause I sold my 32" MT's /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif we kinda needed the $$ /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

-Ryan