Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Home AC recharge question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigblock454, May 13, 2003.

1. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

Tonight I plan to recharge my home AC system. The tag on the condensor says 66 oz total and factory test pressure of 150psi on the low side and 300psi on the high side. Does this mean I change until the low is 150psi, or the high is 300? I have gauges and a recovery unit. I have recharged many R12 systems and R22 is new to me.

Thanks

2. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Be careful with the test pressures. They are for testing for leaks(max pressures). Is the system completely out of refrigerant? If so you might have a big leak and could be wasting your time and refrigerant.
    If you add some refrigerant, you want to watch the high side and low side guages. Try to get the low side up above 60 psi (at about 72 degrees indoor) and the high side should be around 200-250 (depends on outside temp.). Also feel the suction line (larger of two lines between indoor and outdoor) and it should be cold (between 34-40 degrees).
    Make sure both the indoor and outdoor coils are clean and indoor filter is also clean. Hope this helps out. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

3. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

Thanks, I charged by weight using my bathroom scale !! After that the low side was about 65 and hi was about 200. My home AC was factory R22, although I replaced it with an alternitive called Envirosafe 22R. I have had really good luck with it in R12 setups and thought I would try it at home after all my R22 leaked, maybe stolen. It has happened around here before /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif!! So far it is working great!

Thanks for your help.

4. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Glad it worked out for you! Good idea with the scales. That is the best way to charge the system, actually.