Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Home audio equipment

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by alf4444, Jul 9, 2006.

1. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

I'd like to hear some opinions on home audio receivers. My current is a pioneer that I've never been too impressed with but its 8 years old now and on its last legs. I'm wanting to go with Harmon, kardon Denon, or Yamaha and looking to spend between $200-$400 any suggestions? Not looking for the "home theatre in a box" just a receiver for now and I'll look into new speakers in a few months:D

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I've always had greta luck with ANYTHING Pioneer, but I'm currently using a Kenwood "in-a-box" and it's great. Not audiophile by any means, but good.

3. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I bought a HK 2 years ago, to replace an Onkyo. The Onkyo had higher rated power, but the HK sounds much cleaner, with the same speakers. 55 watts per channel will rattle almost any house, in surround mode, so keep that in mind. Look at THD specs and S/N ratios to find the cleanest sounding receiver. Good luck in the candy store.:D :D :D

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I have a JBL home theater system, but I'd deffently look into Harmon Kardon, Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, or a JBL if I was in the market.

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Yamaha upper end is great. I would go for a mid line Denon though.

6. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

I say go with denon or marantz

7. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

any models in specific? oh and I'd like to go with a silver model to match the HD TV:D

8. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I've got an original SAE two head and tuner set. Thing is as old as I am but sure does beat the hell out of all the new ones I've looked at.

9. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Denon is sweet... best thing I have heard in a long time.. so clear

10. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Denon, Onkyo, and Yamaha would be my three major choices if I had the cash.

11. greyhoundjc

greyhoundjc 1/2 ton status

I've got a Yamaha receiver (model kvx-1400 I believe) that I bought about 2 years ago. THX certified, 110 watts rms per channel (7 channels), 6.1 decoding. Also has this trick feature where you set this microphone in the middle of the room and the receiver does a "self setup" that will check your speakers for the correct polarity, detect the speaker size and adjust the volume for each one, timber match everything so you can run different manufactures speakers and have them sound the same. Definatly worth the money but cost about $900 (one of the cheapest THX certified receivers at the time). Anything yamaha makes for home audio is sweet! I would even consider buying a used one.

12. tuffdogstudio

tuffdogstudio 1/2 ton status

Ahhh... the home audio equivalent to "What size tire will fit my rig" :wink1:

For starters, every manufacturer of big brand "high end" equipment has good stuff and bad stuff, usually you get what you pay for, not always true, but usually.

You need to ask yourself "what do I want my audio system to do?"

If you want a home entertainment surround sound unit, I suggest you go that route and stay away from the HTIBs, build a system after doing alot of research online and buy second hand when you can.

If you want a system to just relax and "Listen" to music, a home theater system will probably never (and I say this because we are all usually looking to not spent alot) satisfy your music needs (one caveat, it may satisfy you if you never listen to a high-end audio system.)

Do you want a loud as hell party system? If so, thats completely different yet again.

Personally, we have two systems, well more than that, but two main systems, a surround sound system connected to our TV that rarely plays music other than whats on a music tv station or on a DVD. And then we have a listening system just for music.

A listening system can be very rewarding, but can also ruin you listening to music say in a car and at work and such, just never seems to be as rewarding after you've heard notes and instruments that you never knew were there before.

So, after you decide what you want your home audio to be, you can proceede on building a system that will enrich your life... just be careful, its an addiction just like offroading and rig building (I actually have more $ in my home audio than I do in my offroad rig, by quite alot)

Heres a great link to high end used audio gear and some reviews www.audiogon.com

13. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

Ok guys I decided on this denon AVR-886s RC Willey had it on close out to make way for the new models and I couldn't pass it up for the price and it was the last one. It was actually priced the same as the 786
    http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/2111.asp

SO now on to speakers so I can get the full potential out of the 100w per channel Any suggestions? I'll be in the market as soon as I pay off the receiver!

14. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I just bought a low end Pioneer that has 7.1 capabilities... I liek it so far.. It's a VSX-516x. I didn't spend much because I didn't need anything fancy...

15. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

You will love the Denon.

For speakers, I like my BA VR2's.
    Mine are a few years old but they out hit, and out sound the Bose system my neighbor had.
    [​IMG]

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Year and years ago Bose was the speakers too have, but I haven't been impressed with them in quite a long time. I still see people raving about Bose, but these same people live a sheltered life and are clueless about high end audio.