Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Home Audio - Mini Disc

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Z3PR, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Anyone own a mini disc ?? Exsample Thinking of getting one.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

MiniDisc is a dinosaur....

CD-Rs and solid-state memory devices, along with .MP3 encoding have made MiniDisc an unnecessary medium.

There was a time when MiniDisc was cool, but that was WAAAAAY before CD-Rs were commonplace......

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I still prefer my minidisc player to CD's. At least for recording i do. They may be outdated, but i dont care. Ive got that exact home deck and an older portable recorder/player, sony model MZ-R37, i dont think its been in production for about 3 years now. This thing has been to hell and lived to tell about it, and it never skips.

I love being able to record and copy CD's on the go, i used to do it all the time in school. During class i would have the cd-player and MD hooked up in my backpack and copying. I dont do it as much, but i still do it.

My next purchase to finish off the stereo in my K5 will be a Minidisc changer.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I was thinking a mini-disc would be less likely too skip in a off road vehicle. I have a JVC KD-LX50 head unit and it has RCA's for line in. I will buy and build another K5 in the future and was thinking mini-disc might be the way too go.

5. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I dont think mine has ever skipped. Not when jogging, biking, or wheeling. Another thing that i like about the minidisc is that you cant scratch it. I put the discs in my pockets all the time.

That said, if you are looking at one for the anti-skip only, then a MP3 player may be more economical. That wont skip, and would probobally be more resistant to dust and dirt.

6. barryb

barryb Registered Member

i had a mini disc car player about 8 years ago, the only thing i remember was the bass was really fat , had something to do with the way the compression was made, it has a 10 sec read ahead buffer, so your right, it will not skip, was kinda the tech before sony's read ahead cd 3 second chips and panasonics 10 seconds chips....