Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Home brew shackle flip ??????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87BrnRsd, Oct 16, 2006.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I have a question regarding the home brew shackle flip. It isnt on my truck...but my brothers. He has a 79 K5 which had a rear rancho block and spring lift. Before this comming autumn thump trip to uwharrie (saturday) hes trying to get rid of the rear blocks and do a home brew shackle flip (cut a hole in the shackle hanger and flip it through). He cut the hole and flipped the shackle through....and thats where he ran into a problem. He called me today (I live 2 hrs away) and told me that the springs now wont fit. The rancho springs were on the truck before the flip....but now he said the springs are about 1" too short to bolt back up. We both thought that you could just cut the hole in the shackle, flip it, bolt up the springs and go. But he cant. So....do you have to move the shackle mount for this mod.....or what do you guys think is going on here? Thanks.
    -Harrison

2. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The only way Ive seen the backyard flip done was taking the front shackles off the rear springs from another truck and replace the rear shackles with them. Removing the rivets are fun

3. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

The hole needs to be big enough for the shackel to swing front to back as the suspension cycles. My guess is that he needs to take a little more off of the front. He should also weld in a brace that runs from the "ear" of the shackel back to the main part of the shackel mount. I did this mod 2 years ago and have had no problems, good luck guys.

4. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner