Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Home built SYE for 208? (not Dodge parts)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Geargrinder, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

I'm not much for working on gear boxes of any type so if this is crazy just let me know.
    Could U just take a spacer of some type and put inside of the slip yoke tube to keep it from bottoming out and mesing somthing up. Then drill right down the center of the yoke& output shaft, tap it and put a bolt in there? As I understand it, the out put shaft is only surface hardend, so I wouldn't think this would weeken it much. Then all U would need would be a slip joint driveshaft :thinking:

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

You could. I believe driveshaftsuperstore.com has a kit to do that.

BUT, this still doesn't address driveshaft length.
    *** OK, nevermind; I just went back and saw you've got a Sub.

I'd much rather do it myself, than give my money to driveshaftsuperstore.com... if you search the forums here, you'll find plenty of accounts of their shenanigans.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i have cut output shafts down in length before. it looked to me like ful hardend shaft to me. good luck drilling and taping that sucker.

4. Geargrinder

I have titanium for that :wink1: If it work!

5. Geargrinder

RIGHT ON!!! I'm NOT crazy :D I have thought about this ALOT and just never looked into it :rolleyes: I thought it was a good idea and now I know it would work.

6. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

No, Your not crazy, I thought about it too. Clickity Click I decided the go with the JB Conversions because it really wasn't that much more expensive in the grand scheme of the build, and on a K5, I need all the extra d-shaft length I can get.

7. Geargrinder

Ahhhhh.... the beauty of building a Burb :D I got all the drive shaft length I need from the factory :wink1:
    Any one know what size bolt (through the center) I should use?

8. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I agree. I wouldnt mess with it. I believe the shaft is fully hardened. This has been covered before, and the general consensus is not to do it. And I believe it will compromise the strength. Any addition to the hole already there is going to cause a stress riser there, and will fail when you need it to hold the most...

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

big issue with those setups is that there is no bearing at the end of the shaft. Just a bushing/seal. So you now have all that leverage going back into the case internals. Not cool in my book. The SYE kits have a bearing at the output point to support the shaft. Thus why I wouldn't put one of those Driveshaft Superstore setups in.