Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Home-Done Bedliner On Aluminum?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Confedneck79K30, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

i want to get some of that duplicolor spray on or herc. roll on stuff to put on the steps of my freightliner... but it has aluminum diamond plate, will it work well enough? i dont see why not, but i figgered id ask...

2. jamber2541

jamber2541 1/2 ton status

stay away from the duplicolor spray its never stayed on anything I have sprayed before, might try sanding the aluminum with some 80 grit to make the herc. stick

3. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

i second the sanding, whatever rough sandpaper u can get. Then clean it really well, and it should stick for a while.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if it was me, I'd sand the bejebers out of it and then coat it with aluminum-specific primer... then lightly sand... and then herculine it.

j

5. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

X2 on what Jekbrown said. I work with sheet metal on aircraft and the key to a good scuff on aluminum is to scuff past the alclad coating ( a thin layer of pure aluminum on the outside of aluminum for corrosion protection). Basically, you know you have a good scuff on aluminum when it is no longer shiny. Your metal should be a dull not shiny. I usually use a 150 -180 grit but for herculiner I would go down to around 100 grit. I would think that any "clean metal" primer would work. After a good solvent wipe down.