Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

home-fab shackle flip

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big blazin sc, Nov 10, 2004.

1. big blazin sc

big blazin sc Registered Member

I was wanting to get a set of front 2wd leaf spring hangers and make a shackle flip. I was wondering if anyone had any info or pics on getting the existing shackle hangers off and the placement of the new ones. thanx

2. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    I used the front hangers of a 1980 Chev shortbox 4x4, these are the "long" style hagners, which work with a shackle flip.

I swapped in a set of 63's, so my locations are going too be totally differnt than waht you would need. I'll try to round up a digi cam when I get the change.

A suggesgion when drilling new holes is to measure from, or even use an existing hole in the frame, to mak sure everything is square.

To get the existing hangers off you'll need to grind or torch the heads off the rivets, and drive them through the frame with a BFH and a punch.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I forget who posted it , but there are members here with pics . If you can't find it , I am sure they will post up when they see this /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I think grvdigr (sp?) had done this. Why not just cut a hole in the stock hanger, brace it and flip the shackle? Thats what im going to do.

5. rhuarc31

rhuarc31 Registered Member

Well, what I did was use the front spring hangers from a 1 ton and used the top back rivet hole to line up on the top back rivet hole of the existing hanger. Worked just about perfect, my shackle is almost perfectly vertical when sitting level. I did have to space mine out with a piece of 3/4 inch bar make it line up right though, the stock piece sticks out a little further than the front spring hanger.

6. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I think grvdigr (sp?) had done this. Why not just cut a hole in the stock hanger, brace it and flip the shackle? Thats what im going to do.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I was thinking of doing the same, anybody got anything bad to say about that approach?