Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Home Improv guys: Sinkholes around drywell, and it's not draining

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jun 6, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Home Improv guys: Sinkholes around drywell, and it\'s not draining

So I have this drywell we dug 4 or 5 years ago when we bought a washer/dryer... A big ol' precast thing like a mini cesspool, ran some PVC to it, and everything was grand.

Recently, the vent pipe seemed to sink a little around it, and then a 1' wide by 1.5' deep hole appeared at the edge of the drywell, and the hole filled up with washer waste water when my wife did laundry.

The topmost lid was about 1' below surface, and the hole looked like it was just as deep as the top of the precast, below the lowest lid (there are two lids).

I dug it out and opened the service lid last weekend, and it was filled with gray water (which stank like sewage). My wife hadn't done any laundry in about 4 or 5 days, so this thing is not draining, or extremely slow. I pumped it down about halfway, and measured that the bottom was probably 6 inches to 1 foot higher than it was when we closed it up, much more dirt volume than the sinkhole, too. I left it, my wife did 5 or 6 loads of laundry since then, and it has been rainy for 2 days, so I opened it today to find it full again. I pumped the stinking water down to about 6 inches (my neighbors must love that stench in the street), but my pumps are now all clogged with lint, and the water seems to be a gray-blue mud at the bottom.

Any suggestions (besides the obvious dig it back out) or ides why it filled itself in so much?

BTW, I think it was a 5' deep x 4' wide precast ring. There are no sewage tanks or pipes anywhere near that could be leaking into this one (the cesspools/sewage tanks around here are at least 10 feet down anyway)

I had wanted to run some gutter runoff into this thing, but it looks like I'll be digging another one all together to handle gutters and this ones overflow.

Did we dig and install this thing wrong? We dug a pit til we hit sand, dropped in the precast, and covered it up. Same way we did my dad's house, and his is fine after 10 years.

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Re: Home Improv guys: Sinkholes around drywell, and it\'s not draining

/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

not real sure how these drywell's work but I know on septic lines they have to be surrounded in gravel to drain.

maybe it's a complete different method but it's a thought

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I think it might be a "soil" issue.Mabey the rain in conjunction with the laundry might have done it.The final solution would be to check if your city has a sewer tap @ the street,or in the back,disconnect from the septic,re-route your lines to the sewer,laundry and all.Does your pit have an outgoing line???If it does,it may be clogged.Some pics of the system,or detailed scematitcs I could look at might help.If i was there i would fix it in 2 seconds.Hope this helps /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gifJake

5. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Ive done drywell work.We drill a 40 ft deep hole,fill it with gravel,and run the lines.Rock is the best for drainage.I dont think sand would do it in the long term.Another thing he might do would be to run a outgoing line (similar to an outgoing line on a secondary side of a septic system) to a leech feild.Mabey a split system. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

exactly. a drywell or seepage pit will not work without gravel.

save yourself some frustration and redig it, and add gravel instead of sand!!!

8. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I like to help people with there problems.One reason why i got into the game.When the flooding begins and i am there so save them,its a good thing. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gifJACOB /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif