Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Home interior painting

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Emmettology 101, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Well I am redoing the inside of my house and have all the cracks patched and have 1 coat of primer on the living room. Should 1 coat of primer be enough? I can still somewhat see the original color showing through a little in some areas.
    The reason I primered was because a friend of mine does a lot of drywall and he recommended it. He suggested it becuase the paint on the walls is old and smokey. I washed the walls down and primered with a white latex.
    In the dining room there are a few spots where the piant I am primering over is peeling... I cant get it to stop and I even if I do, I dont want the new paint ot flake off after a little while.. Any suggestions The primer laid nice everywhere except to walls where it is peeling some.

Thanks!

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

There is a product called KILZ and you can get it at home depot and the such.

John

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Most definitely do another primer coat if you can still see some old marks on the walls. Use primer to cover color imperfections...don't expect paint to do that, because you'll see those imperfections through the paint...changing the way it looks. One other thing is...what color are you painting over...and what color are you painting on? If you're painting a dark color, have your local hardware store throw some tint into the primer. It doesn't matter how much of the colorant, but if you're painting a dark red, have them put some red colorant in the white primer. The purpose of this is to take the white of the primer out...because regular white primer will change the way the dark paint looks when on the wall. If you're painting a light color...just use the standard white primer. If possible...get some KILZ like metioned above. It's a stain blocker/primer. It's pure white and covers over water blemishes, etc with one coat.
    About the peeling old paint. You really need to sand off the flaking old paint with a fine grade sandpaper. New paint won't stick any better to the wall than the paint it's on top of...remember that. So, sand it off as best as you can, and you should be good to go.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm going through this right now. I'm chipping and scraping the old paint off as I go, then will sand it at the edges in attempt to hide the differences...

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

KILZ, KILTZ (how evers its spelled?) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Paint it until the OLD stuff stops coming back through the primer. I thought two coats would be enough and I repainted the ceiling white and a couple of spots still came back threw the new paint (2 coats), the primer (2coats) and the ceiling texture/paint/primer... MAN my back hurt after two days and 6 coats of painting the ceilings in 3 rooms! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    where the piant I am primering over is peeling...

[/ QUOTE ]
    I sanded the wall in those areas and used some putty over them and then reprimered and they went away!
    I had the problem where I used some caulk to seal up some cracks between the ceiling and walls in an old house. Its the oil or grease its hard to wash off, esp after a coat of paint.
    Good luck!
    J