Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Home made 12 bolt truss, opinions?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by captaininsano, Apr 7, 2005.

1. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

Here is a pic of the truss I built for my 12 bolt last weekend. Used a piece of tubing (HREW) from an old roll bar laying around and some channel that was laying around. Just curious what everyone thinks. Don't really want to spend too much money on the 12-bolt, since it is alas a 12-bolt. Can't afford the 1 ton running gear right now though and still want to wheel the piss out of my rig so I figure this will help hold her together a little longer. I don't jump my truck or anything, just crawl mostly.

[​IMG]

2. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Looks pimp.

3. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

looks nice, definately better than nothing

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

uhh.. is it attached to the diff-area in any way?

j

5. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

looks awesome dude!!! nice diff cover also

6. captaininsano

Thanks guys! :D It is attached to the diff area, welded on the top on both sides. That took forever cause I didn't want to let that cast get hot, 1 inch at a time. Put 3 inch welds around where the tubes enter the housing too to add strength from spinning the tubes.

Those BlueTorch diff covers are awesome, very strong. I have bashed them super hard, not on purpose of course :wink1:, would have munched the stock one for sure. Only thing I don't like are those 12point bolts. Might swap those out soon for some 6 point grade 8 bolts. Those suckers don't like to stay tight! They have lock washers on them but still loosen up on trail runs, hence the oil leak. :confused:

I am trying to figure out how to make a truss up front too, but space is limited and I think it would hurt my articulation by taking up room.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My BTF covers came with 6 points. Thats a while ago though. Definetally beefy.

Truss looks decent. Will it help a whole hell of a lot? No don't think so. Will it help prevent possibility of twisting axle tubes out of the center section? Definetally.

8. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

Both my front and rear BTF diff covers came with 12 points. Don't think that regular hex bolts will clear cover.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

my D60 and 14 bolt covers came with 6 points. Came very close to not clearing but they do. On those covers anyway.

10. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Why the channel and not weld the tube to the axle tubes?

11. captaininsano

Tubes weren't long enough, the channel mounted nice and easy. Looks kinda crappy but I don't care, I only worry about the function, I actually like it kinda ugly. :D That is some beefy channel too, it's like 1/4" thick.

12. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I have the same complaint.

I ditched the lock washers because I think they're part of the problem. Couldn't get them to line up without the washers getting cockeyed in the hole. I found just using socket head bolts with no washers and applying the right stuff gasket maker to the cover worked best. I also snugged up each bolt a little at a time; this let the cover shift as necessary so all the bolts fully seated on the cover. No leaks after that.

BTW, nice trusses. :waytogo: