Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"Home made antenna's"

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by conoverbandit, May 17, 2004.

1. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

\"Home made antenna\'s\"

Any one ever build one? I have a friend tell me he knew a fella that used to build them using some "type" of antenna, but used pvc pipe and filled it with oil also.Anyone got any ideas what he's talking about? seen a truck the other day going down the road with one on it.Had a short piece of PVC and then the antenna it's self had a spiral on it as it came out of the top of the pipe. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Re: \"Home made antenna\'s\"

I've built several types. I think the one I've built the most of is either a "J-pole" or a regular 1/4 wave antenna. I've built quite a few of both. I think my favorite so far has been the "Super copper j-pole" It's a great dual band antenna. (2m and 70cm)

I'm having a hard time picturing the antenna you mentioned but it sounds like it might possibly be what's called a "screwdriver" antenna. They are used mostly on the ham bands and can be tuned for various bands. It's either that or a shortened quarter wave whip for a single band.

I've seen and heard of people using oil around the loading coil of a shortened antenna but haven't seen any designs I liked enough to build that used oil like that. To me, oil is meant for cars and dummy loads. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Re: \"Home made antenna\'s\"

I made a killer antenna for 2m when I had my apartment prior to marriage. All I used was 5 pieces of stiff wire that would stay straight but bendable, and a s0-39 jack. Simply solder a wire to each chassis mount hole on the jack, one up out of jack , and tune it. I have the specs at home. I wa sable to hit Tucson AZ from Phx Az with 5 watts. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif