Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

home made bumper

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by James90, Jun 11, 2000.

1. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

have any of you used 2"by10"by 1/4" wall rectangel still to make a rear bumper and do you thank that would be storng a nuff to hold up.

[​IMG]Go prepared
    </font color=red>90 k5 soon to be big, bad, and mean

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

3. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

It will be plenty strong. I am working on a 2X8 tube for my rear. I am going to let the center only be 8" and then will taper it to either 5 or 6 inches on the ends. I also plan to bob 3 inches off my frame to hug it up to the tailgate and gain departure angle.

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Hi Tim
    Guess what I found out the other day that my kenmtn bumper that was supposed to be 3/16 is only something like 90 thousands thick, that is why the brackets pulled away from the bumper. I am going to try to get another one from him. I'm going to chop some of the frame rail off the back as well.
    PS - I will get the Moab tape this week, my realitives were out of town this weekend.

Steve

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well hit the link to my site to see the front I made. The front is made with 1/4 plate in the center section where a Winch will reside. I built it to box the frame horns. I had to get my 79 Dragged sideways and found that the frames even attached to the factory bumper don't like side pulls! the bottom of the frame got rotated about 20deg. The side plates are 3/4 plate and have clevis holes so I can be pulled at any angle and the hole front of the truck would have to get bent. The ends are 3/16 wall 4x4 inch box. They also hold air (or will once I finish them :) Also check out the nerfs)
    I will be finishing my rear bumper tomorrow and it is very simular to the front. I have 2 peices of 3/16 plate in the form of a L for them main section.This is attached to 3/4 plate with clevis holes for the rear simular to the front. The bolt on reciver hitch complets the box. Now this will interfear with the spring for the gate so it would require some mods if you plan to keep the spring...Me...I got rid of the whole gate (see link :). The ends will be 4x4 3/16 wall to match the front. I'm taking pics and when I have the time I'll post the pics on my site.
    Now one thing I have built into my bumpers is some ribs on the bottom to keep the HiLift from sliding. We had to jack a buds short bed 72 that had KMT bumpers at Tellico and the Jack was sliding sideways (dangerous!!!!!!). We were trying to move the truck sideways by jacking it and pushing it sideways off the jack andthe top of the jack got into the Jerry carrier and almost punched through a plastic water jug (thankfully it was water and not fuel).

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It's been a while since I messed with the rear frame stuff, but don't the torsion springs that help close the tailgate go just about to the end of the frame rail? How do you anchor the ends of those springs if you bob the frame?

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

7. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

You will have to get rid of the tail gate springs, the good side is that the tail gate no longer makes any noise when opening it. I bobed 3" off the frame and remounted the bumper and it looks much better and my departure angle is better as well.

Steve

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

A friend of mine and I made my front and rear bumpers. They are 3.5" OD and almost 1/4" thick. The front bumper is slant cut on the ends for a little style and and a clevis mount in the front. The side mounting brackets are 1/4" steel and the top plate is 1/8" diamond plate soon to be replaced by 1/4" steel. I have Hi-lifted my Jimmy from this bumper to a tree directly beside me and pulled the truck out of the whole from the side. The bumper never budged. I have also yanked numerous times witht he clevis, aslo with no injuries to the bumper. I used ther factory side mounting holes and the top two on the frame to attach my bumper.
    The rear bumper is made from the saem tubing. This is just a straight piece with the ends capped off. I also have a tire carrier mounted to this bumper made from 1" x1" tubing. The rear bumper is temporarily welded to the frame. I cut a few inches off the frame and then cut half circle holes in the top of the frame and set the bumper in the holes and then welded them on. THis will be chaned later by mounting the bumper to bolt on brackets.

The pivot for the tire carrier and the clevis mount on the front and from hydraulic mounting plates which are 1/4" thick.

You can see my front bumper at my site, follow the link in my signiture and look under pics at Canfield 99. However no rear bumper pics are avaiable at this time,but hopefully soon!

Mike
    1982 GMC Jimmy - Emmett
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

This is the epitome of all stupid questions but whats a clevis? I have an idea but I'm not sure of it

http://www.blazer.coloradok5.com is now under construction[​IMG]
    YEEEE HAWWWW[​IMG]

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

So Steve, do you nearly get a hernia trying to close your tailgate now? The one on my '75 is heavy!

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

11. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I built bumpers out of 5" tall 1/4" thick c channel over the winter.I went snow busting last weekend and did some heavy yanking on the rear and tweaked the he!! out of it!Not good!!I have a 2" reciever on the bottom of the rear bumper.I also use a strap not chains for pulling.Am going to build some new ones now maybee 5x2 box.I cut the frame in back also so the bumper went up and back into the body more.Now the gas tank is the lowest thing.As far as tailgates and I run a truck gate.No window to break.Don't run top in summer anyway.Gained 3" inside of rig.Also alot lighter.Bolts right on.Just get all the parts off of the truck.Brady

12. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Hey Grim what did you use for the nerf bars?Are they attached to the frame or just the body?I was going to use 2x3 for mine and build off the frame with a bracket.Brady

13. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

Just make sure that you brace the outside ends of the bumper. I used to have a straight bumper, now both ends curve back after some trees jumped out at me.. BTW 2"x8"x.25

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>Get the hell outta my way!</font color=blue>

14. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

A clevis is U shaped and has a pin going throught the opened end to secure it to something. If you go to Lowes or a Indutrial bolt/hardware palce they should have some for you to look at. I dont have pics of mine.
    Actually, go to Warns website and see if they have pics of their winch accessory packs.(the pack you buy that has a clevis, tree saver and pulley) Look fo ra small U shaped shackle looking thing.
    That is a clevis.

they make for easy and secure moutning of straps and chains, just make sure you get a high weigh rating!

Mike
    1982 GMC Jimmy - Emmett
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

15. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status