Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Home Made Cross Over

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by davek20, May 2, 2005.

1. davek20

davek20 Registered Member

Hey im 18 and im building a truck on a budget, im building a dana60 as we speak and i am thinking about making my own cross over/highsteer arms but i dont know what to use for a drag link. does anyone know of a tie rod thats long enough to bend cut and make it work? would a tie rod be strong enough to turn 41's? also, does the regular tie rod work for a high steer arm normaly? i havent made my arms yet so i could probably make it so the position of the tie rod hole is the same as the regular knuckle but i dont know what to use for the drag link. if anyone has any sugestions i would appreciate it

2. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

1/2 ton (3/4 ton) and 1 ton TREs are the same except for the threaded end.

If you can manage to keep the stock position of the hole for the tie rod on your new arms then you can use a stock tie rod. Otherwise, you'll need a shorter one. I recommend keeping the position of the hole for the tie rod as close to stock as possible. Otherwise it ruins your ackerman angle.

If you could manage to use a straight draglink you could cut and sleeve a stock 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton 80s tie rod. However, if you're going to have a bend in it you need a beefier tube so it doesn't deflect when you steer.

3. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i used a tie rod as a drag link
    cut and tap the tie rod yourself, and put a slight z bend in it
    the tap is 23 bucks
    i think its 7/8-16 and you can do them both rht
    $.02

4. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

Do you have to drill/turn out the cut area on the factory tierods? Or is it already at the correct diameter? I am going to be doing this later this month. If I have to turn the tie rod tube I think I will just cut/sleve the thing.

5. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i think mine was the right diameter