Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Home Made Doubler

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ProJunkRacing, Dec 7, 2005.

1. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

I am working at a shop where we maching all of our own parts and was wondering if anybody had made their own doubler bracket (kit) and if it was worth doing yourself or cheaper to buy .

we have everything from metal lathes to cnc to water jet just curious?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

There is a guy in AZ who did his own , 77chevyk10 . I don't know all the details , but have seen the rig run , and it looks good and works well .

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

The adapter itself is not that big a deal, the shaft is where tit can be a bit tricky. It sounds like you've got a lot of great equipment to get it done though.

KP

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I don't really have an opinion one way or the other, but there was a guy on pirate who bought a homebrew one and it led to all kinds of problems. Basically, if you can build a quality setup, I don't see the problem. If you have any doubts, it's not worth the trouble or expense it might cause you in the end.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I don't see a problem either , if you have the tools and the ability to do it . All the major players had to make it that first time themselves before they polished it and sold it anyway :D

6. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

ayup ;)

7. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

8. ProJunkRacing

well basically we make electric motors for Electirc lift trucks

but we make our own armature which all are made of solid steel that we maching the splines and what with what do you think ?

worth the effort or buy the stuff?

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

That is who I was trying to remember yesterday. I remember him from back when I used to hang out on the old OffRoadMailingList. There was also a guy from TN that was in TTC that built his own adapter, it used a Ford NP205 mounted upsidedown. (I don't remember where the shaft came from, though) Keith had it for a few years and sold it. The only real issues I remember were w/ the shifters.

10. ProJunkRacing

maybe i should just buy one

11. BURB-STYLE

BURB-STYLE Registered Member

Does anybody have plans/blueprints of the dimensions necessary to build your basic 203 to 205 doubler. If its a link to pirate please put it over here or pm me. i am blocked by my adminstrator to going on that site. don't know why just dumb air force rules i guess.
    Thanks

12. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

if you are wanting to build say just one for yourself it wont be worth the trouble. i machine alot of my own parts for my truck and if it a custom thingy you came up with yourself then yea you machine it or fabricate it, but if its a bit complicated piece and its allready on the market with a good reputation as a good product then it aint worth the trouble. ALTHOUGH if you are wanting to machine more then one to maybe sell or something like that you buy one from a good company and copy machine it and figure out where you can improve on the design. in most cases there are lots of room for improvement. they havent allways thought of everything.

i have more then one project so i will buy a product then copy machine it or fabricate it and make improvements to parts all the time, that way atleast i didn't have to buy two of an item and most of the engineering and trouble shooting was someone elses headache.

a buddy of mine found this out when he need to replace the kick stand on his 04' KTM 450 EXC. there is a company that makes a really cool billet aluminum replacement stand. he said we can make that easy right? i said we can make it but it aint worth the trouble, it will cost you more in time then it will be to just buy one. he works with me, he's not a machinist so i helped him along the way, i told him you are gonna make it not me, but i will help you. i would set him up on a machine and tell him what to do. after a couple of days and one scrapped one he was frustrated. well after it was all said and done he said "damn that was alot of work, i should have just bought one". all i said was "i told you so":D .

13. BURB-STYLE

Its not so much that it would cost me anything thats why i was gonna try it i have access to metal and machinery, plus if nobodies looking im gonna get paid hourly to do it. so i was just hoping somebody could give me an idea of dimensions and stuff. i don't want to sell these and have no interest to, i just want to build one for me and i don't and probably won't have the money to just go get one from a reputable dealer.

14. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

thats called a "G" job my friend. ya know,......a "government job". THOSE jobs are THE MOST IMPORTANT JOBS in a machine and need to be handled with the utmost importance and precision :D ;) ya know. what you are asking though is the hardest part of your equation as far as making one yourself. good luck, hope you find the info you need.

15. BURB-STYLE

People always tell me that nothing beats my Gov. job. But they don't have to walk 1/2 mile at 3am in -1 degree temps not counting the wind, just to get to the building i work in. Anyways the fringe benefits are definately what makes it worth it, pay your taxes everybody so i can build a doubler and get paid too.

anyway TTT about the dimensions
    Does anybody have plans/blueprints of the dimensions necessary to build your basic 203 to 205 doubler chevy

16. echos

echos Registered Member

If I get you the dimensions will you build one for me?

17. BURB-STYLE

im kind of pressing my luck with one, but maybe if i can i guess.

18. echos

echos Registered Member

I will see what I can do, dont worry about one for me, not worth loosing a job over. Can you and a friend go halfs, then copy the one you buy and each of you will have one for 1/2 off?