Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

home made shackle filp??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K-5kid, Apr 22, 2005.

1. K-5kid

K-5kid Registered Member

i am thinking about doing a shackle flip on my 73. does anyone have any tips on how to do it. I am doing it to get rid of the 4inch blocks and i wont be doing any towing. and pros or cons on this would be great

2. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

do a search... there are at least 10 different threads on a homemade shackle flip...

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

4. Joshinator

Joshinator Registered Member

Do a search for all posts by "Bboy" on here, he made a home-brew shackle flip and it came out really nice.

5. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

i the front spring hanger on the rear springs as a flip

shackle flip 1.JPG

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Need a flash for that pic. The background is too dark to see the frame and shackle.

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Why does everyone use the front hangers? Because you could move them forward or backward when you put them on? I think it would be easier to just cut a hole in you stock hanger and brace it up, thats how im going to do it anyway.

8. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i tried the cut thru setup. flipped it back after two days. horrible shackle angle ,rode like a dump truck. tried removing leaves, didnt help.
    its worth it to get a ORD flip or use a front bracket. tho i think the ORD flip should have a better angle. i guess its ok for an all around rig, works good for towing and such. i want to move mine forward a bit and maybe run a longer shackle.

9. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i cut my rear hanger and stuffed the shackle through it.... works fine. i may get some longer shackles. but its not needed

10. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

i did homemade flip but used 56'' and longer shackles 8.25 hole to hole . great angle.7''lift.

11. jrpeebles

jrpeebles Registered Member

For real heavy offroad use, how much strength is cutting all that material out going to leave, even if you reinforce it? How many have broken shackles and shackle hangers?

12. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I did the "cut a hole" trick and don't like it. I have 5.5" lift rear springs and there isn't anywhere close to enough room inside the shackle hole for the shackle to move when the spring compresses. I will use some front hangers from a 2 wheel drive that I scapped today with longer shackles.

13. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you have the cut a hole method already just continue it. Reinforce the shackle mount with some angle iron or C channel and gusset it all up. Then cut the rest of the bottom of the shackle out.

That is how az-k5 did his shackle flip. It works great sofar and he beats the hell out of it. He has since swapped to 56's out back and that is all good too.

Collapsing a shackle isn't that hard to do if you beat on your truck hard. Making some beefy replacement shackles isn't terribly hard and they will last way longer then a stock shackle.

Harley

14. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yes, thats how I was going to do it. Make it nice and reinforced, and just make the hole as big as it needed to be.

15. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I did the cut through method three years ago, works fine, no reinforcement. I was thinking of reinforcing it, just haven't got around to it. With stock springs there is plenty of room for shackle movement. Longer shackles, that would make a bad pinion angle even worse, would really need to move the spring perches at that point. As it is now my pinion angle is about perfect for a c/v shaft...too bad I don't have one :crazy:

http://www.krazyk5.com

http://community.webshots.com/user/trcksr4me
    http://community.webshots.com/user/trcksr4me2

16. K-5kid

K-5kid Registered Member

so would it change my pinion angle enought to need a new drive line or can i keep the one i have

17. jrpeebles

jrpeebles Registered Member

You should be able to use the one you have but degree shims or cutting and rewelding your pads to the correct angle may be necessary. You may also have to lengthen the driveshaft.

18. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

If it rode like a dump truck, your shackle was probably hitting the bracket. Was this with stock springs or aftermarket? I did it with stock rear springs and the shackle angle is really good. The ride is also good.

19. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Like already said, need to shim it at the very least, and probably will need a longer driveline, mine was 2" longer than stock and was about right(also have zero rates). I had 1.5 degree shims in mine, wasn't enough. I need to reshim it at some point, took mine out when I swapped springs. I think I will get steel shims and bolt them into the spring pack the next time around.