Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Home made shackle flip?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rooferbret, Jan 18, 2004.

1. rooferbret

rooferbret 1/2 ton status

What a great site ck5 is! I have learned alot in a short time. I would like to know how many people have done their own flip like the one in the tech area and are you happy with it? How much lift? Did you have to shim the rear or move the axle?

I have everything to do a 4 inch lift but really do not want to run blocks.

Thanks for your help,
    Bret.

87 Jimmy 350 tbi 700r4 208 10 bolts 373s 32" dunlops

2. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i tried the homeade flip, i got about 3" of lift. flipped it back about two days later causs i couldnt get the driveline to stop vibrating 100%. tried several different shim sizes, the ride was also rougher.even tried removing the overload to soften it up and get the driveshaft angles closer.ended up being a waste of time for me, but a learning experience. I now have the ORD flip and i am very happy with it.

there are a few guys on here that are happy with the homeade flip, but it didnt work for me.

3. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

I have the Echobit flip and Bell Tech shackles for a total of 6" lift, So far no problems and smooth ride!
    Bill

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The idea of a Home made shackle flip is kinda scarry to me. I understand alot of you know you sh_t and all, but I'm not sold on the idea of one on my K5. I went with the ORD flip becouse it looks to be the beefyist to me.

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I made my own. I took stock mount, reinforced the top/open part, closed it up on top with extra bracing and cut the bottom open. they should give me 4". I haven't put them in yet. i am waiting till i get some 56" rear springs. Going in at same time.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think using a spring hanger from the front of another truck's rear leaf springs is a better choice than cutting a stock rear shackle hanger.

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

It isn't going anywhere! The steel I used is Twice as thick as the factory stamping.