Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HOME MADE SHAKLE FLIP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by deek, Jun 23, 2003.

1. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

Has anyone done this? I got the idea from the technical section here. & if i was to do it with the factory shakle how much lift should i get?

2. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Depends how long of a bracket you make. You can make it any length you want basically, just remember your only going to get lift equal to half of the length of the bracket you make. Just make sure it is STRONG. You dont want to go with too much lift since it will affect you handling and pinion angle. Im planning on welding my own to replace the stock hangers, somewhat like the ord design, but without any lift. If I dont feel like putting in a four link. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I believe your talking about the "cut through the hanger" shackle flip. This was the route I originally went with my Blazer. On stock springs you can expect to get around 3-3 1/2" of lift unless your rear stock springs are brand new at which point you may be able to acheive a complete 4" on the stock shackle. If you wheel hard, you might want to add some bracing to the top side of the outer lip back across the the bulk of the hanger. It was the need for that extra 1-1 1/2" of lift that lead me to make a bracket that bolts to the the bottom of the hanger and recreate the shackle mount for around 5" of lift. Good luck.

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I have done this and it seems to work just fine. I would like to replace it with something better down the road, but I have been running this way for a year and a half with no issues. I even wrote up a little how-to on this with pics n stuff...
    http://www.geocities.com/TrcksR4ME/shackletech.htm

5. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Can you give any dimensions of the hole you cut in the hanger? No need for me to research this the hard way /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Here are pics of the shackle flip I did using a bracket found in a junkyard. It came out very well and was easy to do. If you can't weld it just drill new bolt holes. Was much easier than cutting the factory shackle and gave 4' lift.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You were still in "edit" mode on Webshots when you grabbed that URL. It won't let us into your account in edit mode. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

8. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

yeah dimensions of the hole to cut would ba a great help. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You were still in "edit" mode on Webshots when you grabbed that URL. It won't let us into your account in edit mode. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh try this

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

nice rims! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    nice rims! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I get that a lot, it seems the rig looking like a total pile of crap makes the rims look that much better /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

12. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

yup, that's all you have to do is take a front hanger from a scrape truck and move it to you're back. add you're shackel hanging down and you have about 4" lift.
    i learned this after buying ord when they first came out. i was all proud first one around that had such a thing.
    friend of mine looked at it and said, you know if you did this. next week he showed it to me on his truck.

dave

13. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

dimensions, so hard to get those magic numbers hehe, I know cause I could never find them. I would have to go out and measure mine, and maybe get a few shots with the digital cam to show the cuts better. I will be working on my truck tomorrow and will take some pics and measurments.

14. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

decisions decisions... what tools to use for this cutting of the hangers. my options are 4" angel grinder, sawzall,cutting torch,big drill. I'd like to torch causs it would go much faster. but i dont want to get blown up. My uncle thinks its a bad idea as well to be torching so close to the gas tank. so im leaning towards drilling some pilot holes and using the sawzall to keep the sparks down. what do you all think? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif i want to do this asap, this weekend if possible.